Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ie instead of desk top when computer turned  (Read 4694 times)

shugah2009

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    ie instead of desk top when computer turned
    « on: November 17, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
    I would like to know how to fix XP from having the Internet Explorer open as soon as the computer is turner on after the splash screens.

Can't access the Start button, the desktop is not available. The senior's computer was changed by her son. This senior's son does not live close by.

I help seniors at the senior center and am not able to see her desktop computer. I help them with computer basics and with many programs and any questions they have about computers. I do research when I don't know something.

This was very hard to find on the Internet.

Thank you so much
    C

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: ie instead of desk top when computer turned
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »
    F11 key should remove the full screen view, then look in startup folder and remove the process that is launching the browser at startup.

If this doesnt fix issue then its likely that there is malware that is holding system hostage.

Do you have the installation media to reinstall the OS and software fresh clean install if needed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: ie instead of desk top when computer turned
    « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
    Hopefully, it's merely full screen. But another possibility is that the shell was switched to Internet Explorer. Normally, the Shell is "Windows Explorer" which is the program responsible for displaying the start menu. It was probably changed to avoid the system being made nonfunctional.

This does put us in a pickle, though- How can we fix it?

Well, one point is that, if Windows Explorer isn't running, running it will bring us the taskbar. From there, it's a bit easier to work with and try to fix the setting. But how do we do that?

There are a few ways. Control-Shift-Escape should allow for running Task Manager, where you can use File->New Task to launch "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe".

If that isn't available (maybe it was restricted too) Another possibility is to download a file from somewhere, or use the "Save As" feature. This will show a Save As Dialog. You should be able to navigate to C:\Windows\ and run explorer.exe. You'll have to right-click it and choose "Run" or "Open" rather than "Select".

The Taskbar should appear.

Now, changing the shell is relatively straightforward. it is a registry setting. Now, one possible issue is if her son also restricted the administrator account. It should be possible to run regedit but it may prompt for a password, at which point we'll be stuck. If it doesn't and you can start registry editor, it will be necessary to adjust the following registry key by drilling down into the folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

There should be a "Shell" Value in the right hand pane. It will be pointing at Internet Explorer Windows Explorer can be replaced by putting C:\Windows\Explorer.exe into this value.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.