Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Path URL hidden - Firefox 42.0 browser used  (Read 4222 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Path URL hidden - Firefox 42.0 browser used
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
Trying to figure out how a website is masking the URL path to a hyperlink. I'm use to mouse over on Firefox showing the URL path  in the lower left when you place pointer over the active hyperlink area but nothing is shown.

I thought maybe they are using flash and so I disabled flash and went back to this site and it doesnt use flash I guess but the link is still functional to navigate but hidden URL path.

I started digging deeper thinking i could see the hyperlink path info in the source for the website for the webpage but its a returned dynamic output and somehow the field in the webpage has an active link on selecting but I am unable to locate it.

So I went deeper using https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Page_Inspector which is built into Firefox and its great that it will show targeting cross hairs for the hyperlink element of the page but still no hyperlink info that could be copy pasted into the browser window to get you direct to that page.

I was hoping to make a bookmark, but the bookmark only brings you to the initial page, it doesnt bring you an additional level into the page which is what I wanted to have a direct bookmark to.

I have since just printed out as a PDF the 2nd page or overlay within the website to have as reference, but just really curious how they are able to do this and if there is a way to see the path that is hidden.

Here is the website.... the hidden link is this site and its a NPC ( Non Playing Character ) reference. The NPC=3 is just a quick reference to a NPC not the exact one that I wanted to quick bookmark to without having to select to get deeper.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=3/flesh-eater

Down towards the middle of the page there is a Noteworthy(118) table and another value within (56) which contains additional information. However both of the paths to these are hidden from view. If you click on Noteworthy (118) your url path changes to  http://www.wowhead.com/npc=3/flesh-eater#drops:mode=noteworthy   and if you click on the (56) your path changes to http://www.wowhead.com/npc=3/flesh-eater#drops:mode= .... and if you go direct to http://www.wowhead.com/npc=3/flesh-eater#drops:mode= the first item you see on the list is Wool Cloth, so this is not a direct link to that part of this page or this page if different from the initial home page for this NPC. If you select the (56) to go to the other page you will notice that the items change and at the top if the list is Linen Cloth followed by Silk Cloth. This transition is how you know your at the main initial page or the 2nd page or overlay in. The Wool Cloth at the top first item for loot is the initial page and the one I am trying to direct link is deeper when selecting the (56) navigation in which you see Linen Cloth and Silk.

This isnt that critical since it just requires me to click on the other field to see information or print it as a PDF, but it seems like there should be a way to bookmark this other page that the URL path info is hidden from.

Below is a pic showing the URL path that a link I would expect to show when mouse over.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Path URL hidden - Firefox 42.0 browser used
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
Browsers only show the target URL for links, in the case of that "link", It's a standard span. The Click event is being intercepted by Javascript. I don't think the URL actually changes anything, and it is all handled client side- it looks like the server builds javascript data that gets used by a client-side menuing/table system, but the initial state of that menu system is pre-defined.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
Thanks Patio for that link...I know that crooks have been bending URLs for a while now with making URLs look to be like the actual sites, however I didnt know that some of them are very hard to detect such as with the Google lower case g reference, I am looking at both of them and dont see the difference, yet the other examples are easy to spot but i can see how someone could miss the accented i vs the normal i in Mozilla.

Thanks BC for explaining how they are doing this. I guess I will just have to navigate down and click to get to the other info since there is no way to target it directly, or continue creating PDF copies of the info I want to reference.