Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel ""If-Then"  (Read 2147 times)

trusky

Topic Starter

Rookie

Excel ""If-Then"
    « on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
    I have used this in the past, but have forgotten how. I would like to create a spread sheet that recognizes a particular set of characters (a model and year reference) in two columns and auotmatically post a value (price) in another column. In this case (See Attachment) if B is 2005 and D is REF Then G is $12,500, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Excel ""If-Then"
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
    I have used this in the past, but have forgotten how. I would like to create a spread sheet that recognizes a particular set of characters (a model and year reference) in two columns and auotmatically post a value (price) in another column. In this case (See Attachment) if B is 2005 and D is REF Then G is $12,500, etc.
    So, if Col B is NOT 2005 or Column D is not REF then Column G should be blank, right?  What about if Col B is 2005 but Col D is not REF or if Col B is 2005 but Col D is not REF?

Where the the price value come from?  Is it calculated or looked up somewhere?

You could place this formula in Col G, =IF(B1="2005", IF(D1="REF", PRICE,""),"").  This will put the value of PRICE into cell G1 if both conditions REF & 2005 are present or will be blank if only 1 or neither is present.  However, I don't have enough info to know where to get the price from.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:45:20 PM by strollin »

trusky

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
      So, if Col B is NOT 2005 or Column D is not REF then Column G should be blank, right?  What about if Col B is 2005 but Col D is not REF or if Col B is 2005 but Col D is not REF?

Where the the price value come from?  Is it calculated or looked up somewhere?

You could place this formula in Col G, =IF(B1="2005", IF(D1="REF", PRICE,""),"").  This will put the value of PRICE into cell G1 if both conditions REF & 2005 are present or will be blank if only 1 or neither is present.  However, I don't have enough info to know where to get the price from.
      Just to make it a little easier to understand, this is a retail price list for semi-trailers. REF is refrigerated, VAN is dry van and and one not shown is FLT, flatbed. if it is a 2007 REF it will always be $17500. All 2006 REF it will always be $14500. 1991 VAN will be all be $5600
      The prices come from somewhere else. There are 74 rows and I just want to make sure that all the prices are correct for each item. I probably should have shown more of the spread sheet,

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »
      Now you've completely changed the requirements.  You don't need an "If-Then" formula, you need a table lookup.