Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Detecting an RDP connection  (Read 4056 times)

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
    Detecting an RDP connection
    « on: December 04, 2015, 01:18:33 AM »
    Hello!
    My question is short and simple but I appreciate it if you answer with details, not only YES or NO )

When I surfing and login to websites with VPS, can a website detects and finds out (monitors) that I’m using a VPS,(I'm connecting to VPS via an RDP connection)?

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Detecting an RDP connection
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:15:40 AM »
    They can see traffic on port 3389 and see when your connected and from what IP etc.

When I surfing and login to websites with VPS, can a website detects and finds out (monitors) that I’m using a VPS,(I'm connecting to VPS via an RDP connection)?

Additionally this gives the tone of illegal behavior.... connected to a website not your own?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
    They can see traffic on port 3389 and see when your connected and from what IP etc.
    If you connect to a VPS with Remote Desktop, and then use a browser within that VPS, the websites being visited won't see any RDP traffic.

If you surf from a VPS you are not anonymized, If you are doing things you don't want tracked then you will be tracked, but websites won't be able to detect it without a human involved in tracing. (It's not like, detecting adblock, for example).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »

Additionally this gives the tone of illegal behavior.... connected to a website not your own?

Thanks DaveLembke, no I will not do anythings illegal. I just want to make sure that hosts (website) will not detect that I'm using a VPS or RDP connection.

If you connect to a VPS with Remote Desktop, and then use a browser within that VPS, the websites being visited won't see any RDP traffic.

If you surf from a VPS you are not anonymized, If you are doing things you don't want tracked then you will be tracked, but websites won't be able to detect it without a human involved in tracing. (It's not like, detecting adblock, for example).

Thanks BC_Programmer, well it means that all traffic goes through VPS (RDP connection) and all data(information) that websites may have from me ( like IP, DNS, etc. ) is for my VPS system not for my real system and IP, right?

----------
      And if they can see traffic on port 3389 (and this port is for RDP); they will detect rdp connection,right?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
      Thanks DaveLembke, no I will not do anythings illegal. I just want to make sure that hosts (website) will not detect that I'm using a VPS or RDP connection.

Is there a term of service that disallows VPS or RDP?

This is odd that your trying to hide activity even if not illegal.

If you use an alternate port config you can connect thru and make for guess work for a web host admin as to what your doing, but fact is that if they look they will see traffic and if they look further they will see what your doing since they are in full admin control of the servers and if they are doing their job properly they are constantly monitoring it to ensure 99.999% up time to you the customer that is using their service. So there is no way to completely hide activity. When you connect they can look and see a connection established when and how long and what ports and if they have a packet logger they could even see what keystrokes were passed to their server etc and piece together your activity.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
      Based on your previous thread about DNS servers and now this it certainly does look like you are trying to hide something.

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 10:23:23 AM »
        Trying to hide something is not an illegal work and it's a kind of privacy.
        Anyway, thanks for all answers.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
        All you are doing by using a VPN is making it more obvious to people watching that you are trying to hide something.  I also wouldn't say that routing all your traffic through some random external VPN server improves privacy, it's just another point at which your traffic can be sniffed.  Also not sure what you are doing with RDP.

ad2066

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
          The issue is that I'm talking about VPS not VPN. Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
          Some, even many government agencies do not agree. If you hide your activity, they suspect you are a criminal.  There are examples of that every day.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
          Well, in that case a website owner can probably get a reasonable idea if you are using a VPS by looking up the IP address as it would come back to a VPS provider/datacenter rather than a regular residential ISP.

I still fail to see how browsing from a VPS does anything towards your "privacy"