Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Backup  (Read 3267 times)

Rodr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 10 Backup
    « on: December 14, 2015, 03:58:50 AM »
    Recently, I took the offer of the free Windows 10 download to replace Windows 7 that was installed on my computer. Before, I had Windows 7 installed and in two partitions. This was very useful as I always had the option of system restore for any issues (And believe me, for almost every issue that I have had with my computer, and the countless postings on forums, nearly every issued had to be resolved with a system restore. It's a lot of hassle, but it works: you can always try to find out if there is another way).

Now, I don't know if I have a second partition and if I do, is it Windows 10? I may have nothing or Windows 7 on the hidden partition.

I have an option in settings where I can do a reset. This sounds ok, but if it requires an internet connection, it could be totally useless. My last problem was a corrupted network connection driver, so I would be lost in that situation, and I'm sure you've guessed how I solved that one: system restore!

The backup option in settings advises that I can use my Windows 7 backup disc: ok, but then I'll have Windows 7 back on my computer, and will I have the option of reinstalling Windows 10 for free, or will I have to pay for it?

My recovery disc burner software offers to copy my hidden disc. This would be fine if; 1) There is one. 2. It's Windows 10.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 10 Backup
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
    I'm not clear on how having two installations of Windows provides additional System Restore options- I suspect you don't mean Windows System Restore feature but some sort of image copying?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Rodr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »
      I think that the way I asked my question was confusing. To show what I meant as there is some confusion between the terms second partition and second installation  :-\ (which may be the answer if I can install onto a hidden partition), here is my disc manager data. It may help.

Volume       Layout     Type       File-system      Status                         Capacity        Free Sp..      % Free
                        Simple      Basic                              Primary Partition         21.49 GB       21.49 GB       100%
                        Simple      Basic                              Recovery Partition      450 MB          450 MB          100%
      Data (D:)   Simple      Basic      NTFS                 Logical Drive              202.08 GB      201.68 GB     100%
      OS (C:)      Simple      Basic      NTFS                 System, Boot…           74.08 GB       17.47             24%

I seem to only have data on one postion, which means I won't be able to make a recovery disc from a hidden partition.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:10:36 AM »
      If the PC shipped with Win7 then that is what's on the hidden Recovery Partition...
      If getting back to 7 is your goal just follow the manuf. info on running the recovery...
      Afterwards you can clean out/wipe any Win 10 install ...if it's there.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "