Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying computer for grandson, please help!!  (Read 2346 times)

parzon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Buying computer for grandson, please help!!
    « on: December 18, 2015, 04:36:13 AM »
    Please help, i'm not smart at all with technology, and buying this for my grandson. I tried to take out the non important things on the list. Also, i'm really worried if this computer can function properly since I had to choose the parts, or if it will overheat or breakdown.

Case(Apex EL 660 Gaming Case - Black)
    Processor(Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache))
    iBUYPOWER PowerDrive(None)
    Processor Cooling(Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler [Intel] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade)
    Memory(8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand**Free Upgrade to DDR3-2133 ADATA XPG)
    Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB [FREE Upgrade to GTX 970 - 4GB -

ASUS TURBO] - Single Card)
    Motherboard( Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0)

Power Supply( 800W Standard 80 PLUS Bronze)
    Advance Cabling Options(Professional Wiring - for all standard default cables inside the system))
    Primary Hard Drive(2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
    Optical Drive( 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer)
    Media Card Reader / Writer(12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black)
    Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
    Network Card(Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
    Operating System(Windows 10

So, would anyone know if this pc would function well with these parts or does something look messed up?

Also how about the water cooler? I'm afraid of it breaking, or if i'd ever have to do maintenance, but I hear I won't on this specific one.

I guess an easier way to do this is with a list of questions:

- Can it operate smoothly with the parts i've chosen?
    - Can it run most games with good graphics?
    - Will it over heat horribly with the cooling system and case i've chosen?
    - Will the water cooling ever break or need maintenance? I've read that these can go years without needing any attention.
    - And how often should he open and clean the dust?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Buying computer for grandson, please help!!
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:56:22 AM »
    What is price tag you looking at this as well so we can make sure your not getting taken for... maybe you can get better with price tag etc such as a Core i7 etc? Also what is budget?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Buying computer for grandson, please help!!
    « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
    That's a pretty good start.  The only parts I would change would be to swap out the "Standard" power supply for a branded one from the likes of Corsair, Evga, XFX, Seasonic.etc.  You could then go down to a lower wattage like 550w.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the liquid cooler, they are only really worthwhile when you are overclocking and the CPU you have selected can't be overclocked.  You also always have the risk of it leaking, it's small but I've had a Corsair H60 for 4 years and a couple of months ago it decided to leak all over my video card, thankfully it still works but the warranty will be void now.  I'd be inclined to swap this out for a cheap but reasonable air cooler such as a Coolermaster Hyper-212 - Even the stock cooling will be sufficient for that CPU.

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting an SSD as the primary hard drive (around 120gb to 250gb) and then put the hard drive in as a secondary one just for storing large files.  The difference in speed this will make to the machine is huge, makes the whole machine feel a log more responsive!