Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way for a screen to physicaly power off when going to sleep?  (Read 3019 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
Some screens do turn off and everything is great, but some display a message like "no display" with screen still using lights or an annoying blinking light that makes you have to go turn off the screen yourself.

Is there a software or a configuration in windows that makes those screens shut off when when the display goes to sleep as if you actually pressed the off button that is on it?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Is there a way for a screen to physicaly power off when going to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
You can buy a wall timer and this way its dead between certain hours when you would never be using it. Those are around $10. One guy I know has his computer on one of these to get rid of the constant 15 watt trickle of his monitor and computer and speakers etc during hours when he would never be using it. The wall timers use only a couple watts of power for the mechanical type.

There are also modern power sense devices that cost more than $10 that detect when one thing is in use to turn other things on etc or do the opposite to shut things off and get rid of the constant power trickle.

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
There must be a command to type in the registry...

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:14:36 PM »
It's not a Windows configuration issue, the monitor itself is not putting itself to sleep when Windows switches off the display output.  For the blinking light there is nothing you can do, that is what the monitor does when it's sleeping.  For the message on screen I'd take a look in the monitor's menu for relevant options and if possible try a different cable/interface in case that's the issue.

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
The only option i saw in the 1st screen menu was sleep timer, and it actualy does power the screen off after 5 to 240 min but once you turn the monitor on you have to set it up again so basicaly its easier to push the "off" button on the side.

For the blinking light a solution would be to open the screen case put some electric tape over the light surrounding the button therefore seeing no light at all. I just dont feel like opening a perfectly well working screen...

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »
By the way the one that says "no display" is a ViewSonic VT2042 and I went and tried to install the official unsigned x64 drivers from the official site and it failed.
So maybe its a driver issue but technically windows 7 is supposed to be able to find those automatically.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
Monitor drivers stopped being useful long ago. The information in the "drivers" is basically the resolution/hz capabilities of the monitor, which are retrieved via the display Interface.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.