Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB flash drive problem  (Read 3799 times)

Nilkanth

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    USB flash drive problem
    « on: December 24, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
    Hey guys, I have a Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 - USB flash drive - 4 GB and when I plug it in, it gives me a message that I need to format the disk. But when I'm trying to format it then it gives me this message :  Windows was unable to format it.... so how can I fix it?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB flash drive problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
    Have you tried it from a different computer? Just to be sure its a thumb drive issue?

Nilkanth

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
      Yeah I tried on 2 other computers and they gave me the same thing.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
      Dictation.
      Here are some personal observations. A while back I purchased a quantity of cheap flash drives from an unknown source. Most of them eventually failed one way or the other. However, a few of them have survived down to this day.
      I also have purchased a few of the famous brand-name drives, and these appear to be always reliable. But, I do have one exception among these drives. One of these drives I have purchased does not reliably work in one of my MP3 players that I bought more recently.
      One would think that by now the manufacturers would've sorted out these problems they have switched flash drives and the interface. But it looks like quality issues are still out there, especially with of low cost unknown manufacturers.
      But it is surprising that the famous brand-name drive would give you troubles. There is the possibility that it was a fake or bogus drive. That is, it may have been re branded by somebody or it may have been taken out of the trash bin.
      I think mechanical strength might be a flash drive reliability.
      Videos about  Kingston  .USB flash drives. Perhaps it may be of some help.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOb7tuhHRPo
      Also, see this:
      The Best USB Flash Drives