Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloading Windows 10  (Read 4137 times)

jtmt

Topic Starter

Beginner

Downloading Windows 10
    « on: December 23, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »
    I've been running 10 since they rolled it out. I have an HP Pavilion with 1Terrabyte of memory. It's about two years old. I was updating drivers through the Device Manager and hit a snag when I tried to update the IDT sound app. I went to the generic app but the headphones stopped working. The next morning, everything was frozen. Took it in to the local tech geeks. They said Windows 10 was the cause. My "Processors can't handle it". Like I said, I've been running 10 since it came out. They're wiping my hard drive and re-installing 8.1. Everyone I talk to says the tech is crazy. Can I go back to 10 when I get it home? What say you?

Jim
    Jim

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Downloading Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
    First of all, why were you updating drivers - was there some issue? Second, the correct way to update drivers is to visit the website of the various hardware manufacturers, download their drivers, and install them. Playing with drivers via device manager is asking for trouble.

NOTE: Drivers should only be updated if there is a specific need to do so.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »
    I've been running 10 since they rolled it out. I have an HP Pavilion with 1Terrabyte of memory. ...Took it in to the local tech geeks. They said Windows 10 was the cause. My "Processors can't handle it". Like I said, I've been running 10 since it came out. They're wiping my hard drive and re-installing 8.1. Everyone I talk to says the tech is crazy. Can I go back to 10 when I get it home? What say you?...
    1TB is storage, not memory; irrelevant to any issues you have.
    I've been running Win10 for over a year.
    The tech has limited knowledge of Win10; he can install it, but probably doesn't know much about it & is unaware than Win8.1 has no COA, it's embedded within the BIOS & since you already upgraded, you already have a Win10 digital signature.  You can download Win10 1511 as an iso file, then burn it to DVD or USB & run it from within Win8.1.  Win10 should automatically activate.  Win10 will provide all necessary drivers.  I've performed this update on 10 machines without any need to download drivers.  Had trouble with 3 performing the upgrade, but finally got them to do it.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
    The tech is clearly incompetent as is far too often the case nowadays.  The processor requirements did not change from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and on a 2 year old machine there is certainly no issue with the CPU.  There is nothing stopping you from upgrading it to 10 again, just do it the exact same way as before.  I'd also suggest not using the same tech in the future.

jtmt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
      Thank you all for your advice and wisdom. I'll not use the device manager to update drivers if I need to. I will re-install 10 and I WILL find another tech. Thanks again!

Jim
      Jim