Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "No connections are available"; updating drivers doesn't fix  (Read 6057 times)

Maaaaaace

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    "No connections are available"; updating drivers doesn't fix
    « on: December 28, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
    For the past week and a half we haven't been able to get on the internet because the computer says no connections are available, when in actuality there are. Tried updating the drivers -- search "drivers," go to "network adapters," the video I was watching said "just uninstall a random one" but the computer only has one, Realtek PCle FE Family Controller. Trying to update it/do a hardware update scan yields no results, as it says everything is already updated and working properly. Also tried resetting the router, and nothing. I don't know what to do now. Turning the computer on and off randomly helped in the beginning, but now it stays constant. Please help, I just want to play Dragon Age Inquisition.... (submitting this topic through 4G on my phone.)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: "No connections are available"; updating drivers doesn't fix
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
    Do you use a wired (Ethernet cable) or wireless connection? Because from what you've stated it sounds like you have a wireless connection ("no connections are available" rather than "network cable unplugged") but "Realtek PCIe FE Family" is an on-board motherboard Network adapter, which would be an ethernet (wired) adapter.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Maaaaaace

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »
      We use wireless. I think we did try connecting to ethernet or something at one point (we did something involving manual setup) but I can confidently say that at no point was the computer physically connected to anything.

Maaaaaace

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
        Hey, update: we tried connecting to ethernet, nothing happened in the way of gaining an Internet connection. However, eight new drivers showed up in the network adapters tab (they all start with "WAN Miniport" so I'll abbreviate as WANM): WANM (IKEv2), WANM (IP), WANM (IPv6), WANM (L2TP), WANM (Network Monitor), WANM (PPPOE), WANM (PPTP), and WANM (SSTP). Tried updating them all individually and searched for hardware updates again and nothing. I don't know if trying to connect to ethernet brought this about or if it's a happy coincidence, but I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
        None of the devices you've mentioned are in any way related to Wireless adapters- those are all related to Ethernet. Based on what you have said, there is no wireless network adapter physically installed at all. Do you know what your wireless network adapter is? Are you certain it is not a USB dongle that was detached from the system?

It also makes no sense that connecting the system to the network via Ethernet would fail to provide you connectivity, if you connected it to the router itself.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Maaaaaace

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
          I don't know what the wireless adapter is, and I'm positive it's not a USB or other thing that connects to the computer, as the only things ever connected to the computer physically are the charger and the printer, and we don't leave those things connected full-time. As for the ethernet not connecting, I'm confused about that as well -- it registered that there was a connection, but it couldn't connect to the internet. At risk of sounding like an utter moron, I'll admit that that could be because we unplugged a wire from the "ethernet" section of the router and simply plugged it into the computer. My family and I don't how how these things work, really, we're just desperate.

Maaaaaace

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
            Okay, our Internet is back! Turns out our Internet is connected to our home phone that we never use, and my mom had unplugged it. She didn't make the connection until just now. That doesn't really solve the driver mystery, but thanks for your help anyway!