Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to install Windows 8.1 on ASUS laptop  (Read 9724 times)

Pretty Peter

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Unable to install Windows 8.1 on ASUS laptop
    « on: February 04, 2016, 03:28:28 AM »
    Hello, I have a laptop Asus X555LN (750GB, CORE i5 version).

What happened before: Everything was ok with this notebook, untill I upgraded for Windows 10, which caused me to loose sound. Reinstalling drivers didnt help, just like following every single guide to solve this problem from Google´s first 3 pages.

I tried to reinstall it back to Windows 8, but the sound problem persisted, even after another driver reinstall and following all those guides on no sound on win 10.

I then tried to install win 7 on the pc, because I have read somewhere that the sound problem exists only on win 8/10. Shortly after finishing installing Win 7, when on the desktop, the system crashed into BSOD. And btw, the sound icon was same like in win8/10.

Since i really need the notebook for work, and I need it fast, for some time im able to give up the sound, just to have a working pc. But at the moment, Im third day into trying to install Windows on this machine and its just not working.

For many times, i was trying to install the Windows from a USB stick. For the Windows 7 it worked for once before it then crashed. Currently im trying to install Windows from a DVD.

(btw. Following around 50 guides on the internet, I have wiped my disk clean, meaning there is not the recovery part that was there when bought - but that shouldnt be a problem, right?)

To the point of the question: basically everything is ok untill i get to the part when you choose a disk to install Windows. It gives me line: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the BIOS menu."

I have searched plenty of guides on how to fix it.
    what doesnt work: setting disks to ASCI in BIOS (UEFI), its the only option there...
    using DVD instead of an USB: curiously, it worked only once today, for the first try, but in around 70% of the install it got cancelled with an error like "we coudnt load files" or something
    using the diskpart command to clean the disk manually or to create a disk partition to select as active

Im therefor asking you for help, since im desperate. I consider myself a newbie to stuff like this, however I like to learn solutions. Problem is, everything I found online so far didnt work, so Im asking now myself...

ps. Could this be because of some lack of drivers? If yes, which one?
    Is there a way how I could find if the disk is damaged beyond software repair?
    Because i wiped the disk clean, is it possible that ASUS firmware(drivers) needs to be present in order to securely install Windows?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unable to install Windows 8.1 on ASUS laptop
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:30:25 AM »
    I have an ASUS X401A ( 320GB HDD, Celeron 1000M version $279) and I fought with it to get Windows 7 64-bit on mine.

The good thing is that you have been able to get into your bios, my laptop came initially with the BIOS hotkey disabled at boot and Windows 8 held it hostage. I had to go through a poorly documented process to force Windows 8.1 to give me the control to get into my bios, so hopefully you successfully able to get into your bios means that your half way there to a healthy Windows 7 system install.

In the bios I would disable UEFI and set it to Legacy. If not set up correctly in BIOS Windows 7 will have issues installing. I dont have my laptop in front of me now to share my configuration, but I could look at it tonight and share settings if you like. There was more than just 1 setting that had to change. I did this 2 years ago and remember having to set settings to Legacy to get Windows 7 64-bit to install and run properly. Once 7 was on my laptop I had to go to ASUS website for drivers for 7 such as for the Intel HD Graphics, Network Adapter and Wifi, as well as sound.

My laptop didnt come with an optical drive and I had to install Windows 7 64-bit to it through an external USB DVD-RW drive.

Pretty Peter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
      Hello and thanks a bunch for replying. I would love seeing your own setup.

Without secure boot OFF (turning off UEFI) and launch CSM (Legacy) ON, the notebook goes straight to bios even when installing Win 8.1.

However even after this settings, I only get to the start of the install, and then end up with the "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the BIOS menu."

Im curious to see your setup tho :) hopefully that settings you mentioned will do some good.

ps. on the support page of Asus, there are sadly drivers for only 8.1 or 10 for my X555LN, so I will probably have to install 8 anyways. However at this point i just want functioning OS, even tho its gonna be stupid 8...
      (or is it possible to use drivers for different model?)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »
      Have you tried re-setting the BIOS back to defaults and running Factory Restore from the hidden partition ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pretty Peter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »
        Im not sure what you mean by hidden partition. Was it the part of the D: called "system recovery" ? because I have deleted that, following some guide I found for a different error I think. That sad, my D: should be cleaned...

I found this: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/hiddpart.htm

so if hidden partition is more hidden im not sure how to get there. When Im pressing F9 when booting as the page suggest, it skips to BIOS -> Load Optimized Defaults?" question

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
        You should never have deleted it...
        You can contact Acer though and order the Recovery DVD for a minimal charge + shipping...

Pretty Peter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:43 AM »
          OK, thanks for info. I called to ASUS and they are doing the system recovery for around 30 dollars.

Do you have any experience with this service? https://neosmart.net/EasyRE/ Because if it would work, I would pay only 10 dollars more, but have my laptop functioning right away. Also, after using this sort of recovery, is it possible to instal original Windows? Im guessing only Win 10 right?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
          Why deal with a 3rd party co. ? ?
          If ASUS can send you what you need it would be a risk to trust someone else...let alone pay them more...

The Recovery Media they send you will take the PC back to Day 1 status with whichever Win ver. was originally installed on it.