Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen problems in the morning.  (Read 4560 times)

joebloggs

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    Screen problems in the morning.
    « on: December 17, 2015, 05:40:32 AM »
    Hello

I have a strange problem with my NEC LaVie laptop. (Windows 8.1)

Recently, when I switch it on in the morning half of the screen is washed in green, with a little pink.
    This only happens when I switch it on for the first time each day. After that, if I restart, there are no problems at all.
    Over the last 3 weeks this has been getting worse, with the problem lasting longer and longer. But still only the first time each day.
    However, it doesn't affect the NEC logo or the BIOS, so I thought it is probably a driver problem. (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong topic)

I have tried re-installing the drivers, scanning for viruses, running windows update, and rolling back windows to a time before the problem.
    I even tried installing windows 10, but had the same problem. (I have now rolled back to windows 8.1)

My last option, which I am hoping to avoid, is to factory reset. But I want to keep that as a last resort.

I have attached a screenshot from this morning.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Screen problems in the morning.
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
    Looks like the display is on its way out. You might be able to find a replacement display on ebay or amazon. Additionally if you have an external display to use that is an alternate route vs spending money to fix the internal display issue. This route of an alternate display basically would turn the laptop into a flat desktop.

joebloggs

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
      Thank you for your quick reply, Dave.
      I am going to connect it to my TV when the main display gives out. It's too old to bother replacing the screen.
      Better to save and buy a new laptop later.

Thank you for your help.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
      Since it works fine in the CMOS and during Boot up, I'd diagnose it as a problem with the integrated graphics. I saw it on a desktop system- everything would work fine until booting a graphical OS, at which point it would exhibit a number of visual artifacts usually ending up with a frozen, garbled screen similar to that. Of course, that was a desktop system, so the fix was to install a cheap graphics card and it worked fine. For a laptop, there isn't any real option for dealing with a failure of the integrated graphics.

Still worth checking with an external display to verify it isn't the LCD- so such thing as being too sure :P
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:41 AM »
      For a laptop, there isn't any real option for dealing with a failure of the integrated graphics.

* They do have USB Video Cards these days. If the GPU was shot and they wanted to stretch the life of the laptop further and weren't gaming, but just web surfing and other non extreme graphic applications, you could use one of them, but their performance is not the greatest. The super cheap ones I have seen reviews of their quality being poor. But I have also seen reviews of people praising them for being able to add an additional display etc for presentations etc.

** Only unknown is, would it work at POST or if Windows or other supported OS has to boot and load drivers before it operates. If it doesnt have anything to display until the OS is running and correct driver installed to initialize and handle the adapter, then it woudnt be a solution for anyone wishing to fix a laptop with a bad GPU because they wouldnt be able to install the driver etc unless they were able to RDP, VNC, or other remote connection to install driver. And if the OS ever needs to be reinstalled then it would be almost impossible to perform this unless you had an exact model healthy laptop to build the OS and install driver and then swap the drive to the GPU bad laptop in which the system might work without complaining about a drastic hardware change after transplant of hard drive from healthy to GPU damaged laptop.

If the GPU is damaged, the best plan is to get a new laptop or new used refurb if price and warranty are worth not buying brand new. I am just throwing this info out there since I wanted to correct that there is an option although not the best option for anyone looking for any great performance out of it to go with USB VGA Video Card Adapter. I haven't bought one of these to share any comments on them. The $40-$50 price tag for a low performing video card option I just cant bite at buying.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812866007&cm_re=usb_vga-_-12-866-007-_-Product

joebloggs

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »
        Hi guys,

Thought I would update. I seem to have fixed the problem.....but really have no idea why the solution worked at all.
        At the bottom of the screen each morning was the "Install Adobe update DX" message. For a while I couldn't see it because of the screen problems, but occasionally it was there. I decided to upgrade Adobe....

...and the screen problem stopped. >_<

Thank you all for your help. Though I am a little embarrassed about the solution.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:50:53 AM »
        No reason to be embarresed...glad your sorted out.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "