Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP d530 motherboard: CPU microcode and F1 booting  (Read 4607 times)

Robuntu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    HP d530 motherboard: CPU microcode and F1 booting
    « on: January 29, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
    Hello. I have used a HP d530 motherboad (Asus P4SorD-LA) to replace a Gigabyte 8s661fxm-rz on a Fujitsu PC that failed after years of service. I moved the PC3200 memory modules and the P4 3.2  Ghz CPU. At boot, a message is displayed warning that a specific microcode is required for the installed processor, but on pressing F1 booting goes ahead and the computer runs fine. Is the processor working at the specified speed ? I feel it is not any slower than when it was on the Gigabyte motherboard!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HP d530 motherboard: CPU microcode and F1 booting
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
    You need to get a BIOS flash to add support for the newer CPU. If your lucky it will run the CPU and get past boot so you can run the system to flash it. If you cant get past this then you will need to put the original CPU back into the board and then flash it newer to support the CPU if it even supports it and then upgrade after BIOS flash update.

You will want to flash it with version F10 for extended CPU support.
    Looks like there are BIOS updates available: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1777#bios

Be sure this is your board before flashing: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1777#ov

Robuntu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
      The Gigabyte is dead and HP ceased support for the d530 SFF long time ago and, since it's a propietary BIOS, the Asus update won't work. As it is, it work fine and boots ok beyond F1, but is there a way to know wether the CPU is working at 3 ghz or not?

Robuntu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
        I forgot to mention that there are very marked variations in the CPU fan speed depending on load.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
        Run CPU-Z on it and it will show CPU info as well as RAM speed FSB etc. Sorry for the mix up with the boards, I had it backwards. Dealing with the F1 to continue for microcode error is only a pain if you want your system to be able to boot without it. Back in the day I upgraded a Celeron 500Mhz socket 370 Compaq computer to a Pentium III 850Mhz socket 370 CPU and it came up with the same microcode error and there was no flash to support the Pentium III 850. The system ran fine and faster then ever with the powerful Pentium III 850Mhz. BUT... It was only running the 850Mhz CPU at 700Mhz with 100Mhz FSB as at post it stated 700Mhz so the Pentium III 850 was underclocked by 150Mhz, however performance far better than the Celeron 500Mhz. If your lucky its running at 3.2 otherwise it might be 3.0Ghz.

By the way... WARNING on the HP D530 motherboard. Greater than 75% of these boards that I dealt with for the HP D530 series had bad capacitors. If your board doesnt have swollen or capacitors that are leaking electrolyte your fortunate, but at my last job we had  about 60 of these D530s and all of them started to acts up and I found that their capacitors around the CPU were swollen and leaking. This model was part of the capacitor plague that hit so many boards of that manufacturing period from HP, Compaq, Dell, Acer, eMachine, Gateway, Sony, and others.

Also the Fan speed controller for the CPU Fan on the D530 which are the desktop SFF version have been known to spin up so fast with the air ram type of CPU heatsink fan that they sound like a jet engine ready for lift off. So if its loud, its normal. The Pentium 4 2.8 HT - 3.4 CPUs run very hot and on the HP SFF's they will sound like a jet engine when the CPU load is high and the system ramps up the fan speed to cool itself. One way i was able to get the system to be quieter was to replace the air ram type heatsink with a standard socket 478 heatsink, but the fan speed controller does drive the fan pretty fast at times. Hopefully you have new thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink after the swap. Poor or reused thermal compound will cause it to run hotter than fresh thermal paste.

Robuntu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
          Thanks for the tips and the warning. The caps (first thing I inspected since that caused the Giga mobo's faliurl) were in good nick.