Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Parts Sources  (Read 2351 times)

AndyCountry

Topic Starter

Rookie

Parts Sources
    « on: January 29, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
    I can usually find what I need via Internet searches, but I've never bought replacement parts for devices. We're talking about an old, but very useable, WDC external USB drive model WD2500B07 - RGB with a 250GB 3.5" IDE.

One day, it just quit working. I took it apart and used a Sabrent USB  external drive adapter to connect the 3.5" IDE to my laptop. Worked fine, so the HDD controller is good, but apparently the other PCB inside the enclosure (where the Molex and IDE ribbon cable are connected) is the issue. Regardless, I wanted to find a good company(ies) to try and find a replacement from, just to get the old boy working inside its old enclosure again.

I've had a hard time finding this resource and thought of my last-line-of-defence in these matters - Computer Hope - to come to the rescue once again  ;)

Please don't spend a ton of time on this. I was just hoping someone has 4 or 5 "known-good-resources" that they could post for me. If not, it's fine.

Thanks in advance!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Parts Sources
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
    I use Newegg and Tiger Direct for my parts needs like this. You just need a empty USB to IDE external 3.5" drive type enclosure that supports that 250GB drive capacity. Most support the 250GB drive, however some older cases would only initialize up to a 120GB drive and a larger such as 160GB drive or larger would only show 137GB available. Any new ones on the market these days you should be fine with, but if going through an alternate source be sure it supports the larger capacity IDE drive.  Brands that have been good for me are Rosewill, Vantec, and StarTech for external enclosures.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Parts Sources
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:14:16 PM »
    Hi

Western Digital don't supply internal parts for their devices. I would either fix the faulty board or replace the whole unit with the new model. It sucks I know but that is modem electronics repair .
    If you wanted the circuit board for the Hard drive then you could get that from China for the price of a similar sized drive. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan