Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is a Budrner Phone?  (Read 3462 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What is a Budrner Phone?
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
This question is based on an article that was published about a year ago. I thought I already knew the answer, but reading the article refreshed my memory and I recalled some other details that death I had forgotten.  :-[

https://www.puretalkusa.com/blog/what-is-a-burner-phone/

It seems that the idea of a burner phone started with either a movie or TV series on HBO. That was a fictional story that introduced the idea of a burner phone.
In essence, it is a cheap pre-paid phone that could be used to make a few phone calls and then you could just drop it into the trash somewhere. These phones can be purchased with cash and there is no record of who bought the phone. So the number associated with the phone becomes vacant.
However, there is another twist. If you want to hide your phone number from caller ID, you just pick out a command prefix on your telephone. I think it's #67. That then will block the caller ID feature from showing up on the phone of the person you're calling. That would be handy for answering a bill collector or anybody that you want to talk to without revealing your phone number.
Now there is another twist. You can buy a disposable phone number. You can use a phone number for certain amount of time and then have it even raced or else  replacec it with a new number. I have noticed that some new android phones come with a privation for having ber two SIM cards.
The article linked above goes on to say there are some good reasons for anybody to want to hide their identity over the telephone. Or at least hide their phone number. One case would be when you're dating a new person and you don't want that person to actually have your phone number until there has been some mutual agreement. Well, I am very well married and very old and that would not be my concern. But, as I recall, that would've been handy back when I was a teenager when there was a girl I could not get rid of.
Now here are my questions.
Do you think there are good reasons to buy a burner phone?
And what about hiding your phone number from somebody else?
Curious minds need to know. :D