Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removable storage drive  (Read 4490 times)

Tyson

Removable storage drive
« on: November 20, 2005, 08:48:28 PM »
im having a problem with a removeable drive. it has previously been E: but it has just recently started being F: when i turn it on. there doesnt seem to be nething using the E: though. I need it to be in E:! is there neway i can make it assume E: instead of going to F:. when i put in another removable disk it goes to E: but the one i want to use E: doesnt go there?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Removable storage drive
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:35:16 PM »
Wha? E or F.... Uhh. The letters on the drive doesnt mater unless one has windows on it ::) Did you recently partion the drive or reformated the drive? Are they set as master or slaves?

Dell4700

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »
"There are two ways that disk drives get drive letters on a PC. The first kind are the ones controlled by your BIOS. These usually include your floppy and most hard drives, for which drive letters are created when your system is first turned on. The second kind of drives are controlled by software, or more specifically, drivers. These types of drives include CD-ROMs, Syquests and other removables, network drives, and sometimes SCSI hard disks with ID's other than zero (0) or one (1). Generally, drive letters are assigned to these drives depending on the order in which they are loaded.

For Windows 2000/WinXP:
- Open the Disk Management console (diskmgmt.msc) by right-clicking on My Computer
- Right-click on any drive, and select Change drive letter and path.
- Windows will let you know if the drive letter cannot be changed for some reason.

For Windows 95,98, and Me:
Windows 9x-Me only allows this configuration for those drives controlled by drivers (the second type mentioned above). By editing the Registry directly (see Solution #2 below), you should be able to change the drive letter assignments for any type of drive. Note: It is extremely important that you back up your Registry before continuing."
The above and the rest of the procedure is here:  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-024

Dell

Gustaaf

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:38:43 AM »
If using windows 2000/XP (strictly applies to W2K/XP only)

do create a systemvariable under "System Properties => Advanced => Enviroment Variables."

Create a NEW systemvariable called.
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

assign the value " 1 "  to this new string.

Now, open device mananger by right clicking on my computer and selecting " Manage "

Now click on VIEW => Show hidden devices.

Now look for your usb device. (disconnect it first) and remove the usb device. Do this for other usb devices too.

Now reconnect your USB device, it will be re-detected as new device, it could assume drive letter E: