Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Starting MS-DOS from laptop  (Read 13265 times)

-Swo0p

Starting MS-DOS from laptop
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:37:55 AM »
Hello everyone   :-/

I have a laptop, and want to format my C and D drive and install Windows XP again.  However, a year ago some Russian friends of mine installed a different version of XP, so the version I have on cd is not the same.  

Firstly I need to whipe this present version from my drives...how do I even get to DOS?  Im not the brightest person with laptops but I can figure out how to reinstall XP from cd.   When I tried to boot from cd I was able to install xp on my C/D drives BUT it didnt give the option of formatting the drives first  ???...only by installing another version on a drive...which it then suggested not to do (ofc).  

So Im kinda stuck and I think the only way I can do it now is to format everything first and install from scratch.
I couldnt find any instructions on google so any help would be appreciated
thnx

uli_glueck

Re: Starting MS-DOS from laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:06:44 AM »
 Boot with a DOS -  BootCD (if you donīt have a Floppy.)

type fdisk/mbr
start fdisk and delete the partitions.
create a new partition with fdisk.
restart and type:
format c: /u

Now you should have a clean hd. (data will be lost, so make sure to make a backup)

hope that helps
uli

Gustaaf

Re: Starting MS-DOS from laptop
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 05:45:58 AM »
A standrd XP Can delete partitions. If the CD is customized, then it might not as it might follow an answer file inbedded in it.