Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes at splash screen  (Read 5728 times)

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Computer freezes at splash screen
    « Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
    Correct, there's no other difference.  The idea was to see what driver it was hanging on, so as to hopefully identify the culprit if it hung on the same driver each time.  So, unless you've made any other changes, the lack of freezing since changing that sounds more like a coincidence to me.

There are two things I did that might of made a difference, but I'm a bit unsure why as to why they would. I disconnected a internal HDD that I was using for storage like you suggested and I also installed magician for my Samsung, pro SSD, that has my OS install on it. I did notice when I ran the magician software that it said I was running my SSD in HHD mode and suggested I switched it to performance mode instead. So these are the two things I have changed. So, I guess all I need to know now is, can anyone of these two things cause windows to freeze on startup? Thanks for all the help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 06:00:15 PM »
    I disconnected a internal HDD that I was using for storage like you suggested

It's more likely to be this than any changes that Samsung Magician made.  It's worth testing this drive thoroughly as it could have some bad sectors causing Windows to hang when it's trying to access the drive, I've seen bad drives cause similar hangs many times.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
      The last few days the random freezing is back, it doesn't happen all the time but it's happened 3 out of 5 times I have booted my computer today. I left that thing on that Callum suggested to test the driver and see if I could find the culprit, but it's just after that screen that it crashes. I have wrote below what the screen says when my computer has frozen. Has anyone got anymore ideas what this could be with this information. Thanks!

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 760) : Service Pack 1)
      8 System Processors (16335 MB Memory) Multiprocecessor Kernal

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »
      Is the other internal HDD still out of the equation or no ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
        Yes, I left that HDD out and replaced it with another. There are two HDD in the computer now and an SSD which has windows 7 installed on it. Should disconnect the two HDD's? Thanks!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
        For testing purposes...i would absolutely...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »
          Something I forgot to ask while I check this out with the two HDD's disconnected. Does this point to a hardware problem if it freezes each time at this screen, or could it be a windows problem?

Screen it freezes at >>>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.1 (Build 760) : Service Pack 1)
          8 System Processors (16335 MB Memory) Multiprocecessor Kernal<<<