Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux at work  (Read 2633 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Linux at work
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
Hi. I'm trying to log on to my work place network using one of their wired Windows (7) computers running Ubuntu from a portable drive. To start off with I'm not overly network savvy. The main problem that I'm encountering is identifying what type of network it is (as I said not overly savvy) and what security system is in use. So I'm having a hard time telling Linux what settings to use.

Also to make things clear, I have a logon username and password for the computers, so I'm not trying to bootlegging here.

So from a windows environment what's the best way for me to look up what network I'm using (I think it's VPN)?

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
Re: Linux at work
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »
You will need to check with the IT department.

Some networks require a domain.

Some require certain security protocols.

Some are set only to allow certain IP address.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »
You will need to check with the IT department.

Some networks require a domain.

Some require certain security protocols.

Some are set only to allow certain IP address.

I forgot to say there is a domain name to sign on with (I know the domain name though). IP shouldn't be a problem as I'm working from an existing workstation (just with a temporary OS). So it's just security protocols to be selected.

I may well already have all the information I need but not setting up correctly. Is there anything special that I need to do to Linux to sign on to a windows VPN? (Assuming I'm right about it being a VPN)

IT department is asleep :( [02:49]

My god that is some quality engrish in my first post.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
Out side of talking to IT department to have them help you preform this there is nothing else we can do to assist you.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."