Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another Win 10 Glitch  (Read 5181 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Another Win 10 Glitch
    « on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
    I've had Win 10 since last August. Now, in the past two weeks, another glitch has reared it's head.

I am now receiving several messages per day, via the right edge "New Notifications" slide-in panel, that my virus protection is turned OFF.

1) I never turn it off.
    2) When I check, it always indicates as being ON.

Is anyone else having this problem? Recently or going back a while? Any ideas for a fix?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Another Win 10 Glitch
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »
    Which Antivirus are you using that is showing as enabled yet disabled?

Is this a browser window in Edge showing this trying to get you to click to install something?

Are you able to run a full virus scan with latest definitions and have it come up clean with no problems?

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • My pal Sharky
      « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:30:21 PM »
      Three things happen. First a little flag slides in to the screen from the right edge (over whatever I have on my monitor) and says words to the effect..."Your virus protection is off." It happens fast before I can copy the exact words, and then slides back off the screen.

If I then left click the little icon, on the screen bottom, immediately to the left of the time and date in the right corner, a whole panel slides on to the screen from the right side, with heading at the top - ACTION CENTER. There is a message below whose exact words were -

Check virus protection                                   9:44p
                                                                                                    V
      Windows Defender and Webroot Secure

If I left click on this message, I'm taken to a Security and Maintenance Page, where via drop downs I can confirm that that my protection software is indeed turned ON.

I am using Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere.

The Win 10 panel is not trying to sell me anything, or get me to down load anything. This is the same panel on which "hot" news headlines appear from time to time, and on which it invites me to try OFFICE. While OFFICE came in Win 10 I don't use it, never bought it, and have never wanted any version of OFFICE.

Either Defender or Webroot will run full scans indicating no problems found.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
      ...I am using Windows Defender and Webroot SecureAnywhere...
      Choose 1 or the other, but not both.
      Defender should have been made inactive if you install a different AV.  It may not like Webroot SecureAnywhere, which I never heard of.

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • My pal Sharky
        « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
        Only comment is that this problem did not occur for first seven months in the same configuration. Thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »
        Only comment is that this problem did not occur for first seven months in the same configuration. Thanks.
        Installed A/V's are not static; they are updated all the time.