Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound card  (Read 4356 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Sound card
« on: July 28, 2004, 11:41:58 AM »
I have recently  built a new computer.  I used a sound card by C-MEDIA.  (CMI8738/C3DX).  I have been unable to record sound coming through the "in line" connector on both stereo channels.   I can only record on the left channel.   I am using recording software by Adaptec and/opr Audacity.  CAn any oone help?
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

MalikTous

Re: Sound card
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »
If your Play Mixer (Volume Control, sndvol32.exe in Windows) isn't shoved hard over to left on the Balance pot on the Line In section, you could have a bad connector. Try using the AUX connector on the card by wiring a 3.5mm stereo jack to an old CDROM audio adaptor cable and see if it records right with that; if so, either just mount that jack as your new Line In on the case (back or front, your choice) or replace the jack on your sound card.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:50:22 PM »
what does dxdiag typed in the run box have to say...update drivers..

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 06:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the comeback.   The jack is good, as I can hear both channels on my local (monitor mounted) speakers.   I just can't record the left channel.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:22:58 AM »
this may sounds excuse the pun but when you say record is this voice via a mircophone or music?

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 07:13:34 PM »
I am trying to record stereo music from a CD player.  I was able to do this on my old gateway with a sound blaster sound card and OS ow Windows 98SE