Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two of the same program??  (Read 2495 times)

ZOMBIE00600

Two of the same program??
« on: November 23, 2005, 10:45:21 AM »
I have recently been trying to clean up my harddrive a bit, and I have noticed some strange things during this process. First, I have entirely too much space missing. I have searched my entire pc and I can't figure out what is taking it up. Any pointers here would be helpful. :)  Seond, I seem to have two copies of the game Diablo 2. I can't understand why, I ran the install prog the regular way. Third, if the guest account is activated, is everything copied? I have seen some files repeated on guest, and others are not. Like my emulators for example, are not on the guest account. Unless of course they are, but just dont have shortcuts. There is a shortcut for Diablo2 on there though. I don't get it. I will check prog files on guest and see if everything else is there. My questions are: Can I erase files on guest without erasing them from admin? Should I have 2 copies of Diablo? And what could be causing me to have so little space left on my disk if I didn't use the space?                                                                                  

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Two of the same program??
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »
    Firstly any program you install on your main account will be available to ther users, unless explicitly chosen not to during the installation process.

You cant delete applications from the guest account as it's a limited user and doesnt have this ability...for security reasons.

In terms of missing space, try going into My Computer, Tools, Folder Options and then View...go down the list and place a tick in Show Hidden Files>

Now browse your entire C: drive, especially the Temp folder and Documents and Settings - you will probably find temp files that have not been removed OR some hidden files that should have been deleted.
    I found 2GB of files in my sisters personal folder - they were hidden files and so not subject to the disc cleanup utility!!

If you have 2 versions of the same game, check in Add/Remove Programs - if it lists 2 delete one, if it only lists one then you may just have a second shortcut and not a second installed version. Right click each icon and check for the Source folder, they may be the same.

Just make sure that any files you delete you are certain you don't need!!!!
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

pcdoc4christ

Re: Two of the same program??
    « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 04:48:30 AM »
    Check the TEMP folders (do a search for the word temp).  Many programs save copies of files to the temp folders that remain there even if you delete the original files.  For example, the software for our digital camera saves copies of deleted photos in the temp folder of the user account that was logged on when the photos were downloaded from the camera to the hard drive.  It should be safe to delete any files in the temp folders that are more than a few weeks old (but do not delete them all).  Sort them by date before you delete them.

Doc