Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 installation can't detect hard drive  (Read 4303 times)

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows 7 installation can't detect hard drive
    « on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
    I had a windows 7 system on a 250gb partition and I wanted to dual boot with Debian. I removed another partition and got about 50 gb unallocated space that I was going to use for debian.

I restarted and tried to boot into windows again (hadnt installed debian yet), and I go a message like "BOOTMGR missing". I tried to reinstall windows but the dvd can't detect the hard drive. The message is "No drives were found"

Some posts said to go into diskpart, select the windows partition and make it active, but I get an error message doing that, saying "disk may be invalid because it is offline".

I was able to boot with a linux mint live CD and it shows 4 partitions with 2 of them listed as windows 7 loader. http://i.imgur.com/raojwo3.png

Any idea how to fix this?

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows 7 installation can't detect hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »
    Try following these instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.htm

Prior to doing this I will suggest that since you can boot to Live Linux back up you pictures, documents, spreed sheets, and so on just in case a destructive reinstall need to be preformed.
    "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »
      The link doesn't work :/, it just sends me to the forums index, not to a post.

Yes, I backed up the important things already

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »
      Sorry about that for some reason it did not copy and paste correctly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.html

Here is one that you can copy and paste in a browser.
      Code: [Select]
      http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.html
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
        It didn't work. Startup repair didnt change anything, still says drivers missing. using the command prompt I couldnt switch to C: because the "system cannot find the drive specified"

Edit: Should I try running the commands without switching to C:? I'm on X:/Sources

Edit 2: If I delete one of the windows loader partitions and install linux for now, will I be able to reinstall windows in the future?
        « Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:52:38 PM by devil0150 »

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
        Should I try running the commands without switching to C:? I'm on X:/Sources
        No you should be under the C:boot>

If I delete one of the windows loader partitions and install linux for now, will I be able to reinstall windows in the future?
        You could do it that way but it is rough to it.  Does not always work correctly.

Best to install windows first then Linux.

devil0150

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
          I fixed it. Searching for fixing an invalid disk I found this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html

After doing option one the drivers appeared when booting from dvd. I didn't reinstall windows but went back to system repair and did startup repair. It took longer this time but when it restarted it booted directly into my previous windows system.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:11:35 AM »
          Glad to hear it.

Now you should be able if you still want to install and dual boot with Debian.