Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU or MOBO overheating  (Read 7226 times)

zolton35

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: CPU or MOBO overheating
    « Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
    I tried to launch the game and played just fine even though I hit a small bit of stuttering here and there but that could be my GPU. So this seems to have been my problem. Every thing seems much better and well within the norm for temps now. In case some one finds this in a search with similar problems do not leave your volt settings on auto as that seems to be the problem I was having as it was bolting up when stressed sucking more power then needed and by extention increasing the heat.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
    Very odd that auto which is default ramped up the voltages to cause the heat up as I stated as a possibility...

Also I'd set everything in BIOS back to defaults before enabling cool'n quiet and this way nothing is old config from the prior CPU. If your bios somehow has the voltages ramped up it could run it hotter than normal.

When I last dealt with this condition it was an ABIT motherboard with a socket 775 upgraded from a overclocked Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT to a Pentium D. I assumed that the voltages would go back to normal with CPU swap. But it over voltaged the Pentium D causing it to run 80+ C even with cooling fan at full tilt and PC Speaker was sounding like a European Police Car as it climbed towards 90C the shut down temp. On my motherboard it didnt clear the overclock config in BIOS and I guess the Pentium D was too close of a family change for the BIOS to revert back to defaults. But your default that is set to auto in which auto cooks the CPU that doesnt sound right, but it appeared to be the fix.  :-\

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 10:45:14 PM »
    Are you able to check the power supply voltages with a multi meter. I have had over heating problems with a power supply either being noisy or to high in voltage,  to check power supply noise you would need an oscilloscope  the noise should be less than 100 mv . The power supply output should be as close to 5 and 12 volts but no more than 5.2 volts and 12.4 volts.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan