Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Restarts  (Read 4396 times)

boomer222

Computer Restarts
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »
I was running windows 98 and my computer continued to restart when I went into explorer or checked my email. Figured it was a virus, so I wiped the computer and upgraded to windows 2000 which was going to do anyways. After re-installing everything, when i still go into explorer it still restarts. I've tried putting new RAM in and still happens. I thought it could be the NIC, so I put in a new one and it still happens. I need help, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, boomer

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Restarts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 08:25:54 PM »
test you RAM (free download at memtest86.com) and if no errors found try swapping in a known working power supply and see if that solves the problem. The NIC card sounds like a long shot. how did you come up with that idea?

boomer222

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 08:33:49 PM »
figured it may be the issue because it only restarts when i check email or the internet. tried the memory thing already and the memory is okay. i'll swithin out the power supply.

thx

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:29:47 AM »
In addition to the above, try another browser.  Firefox is free, uses fewer resources to run and does most of the things IE does and some things IE doesn't do (tabbed links, RSS, etc.).

If it doesn't fix your problem, at least you will be shedding some extraordinary bloatware.  Your PC and RAM will thank you for the change too.

You can still keep IE and try switching between the two until you are convinced.

Firefox is available here for free download:  http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Dell