Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting Bin files (Over 2000) from old game into MP3s  (Read 4938 times)

Reddbane

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Converting Bin files (Over 2000) from old game into MP3s
    « on: May 30, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
    So recently I bought an old favorite game of mine on Steam, Tales of Symphonia, and I’ve been poking around the game files trying to access the game's sound files.  I discover they are contained within several AWB archives.  So I extract from them and now I’m stuck with several folders, each containing thousands of tiny bin files (though no cues) which in turn contain the audio files (most of them single lines of dialogue.)  Now I’ve spent several days looking up various ways to access these files, burning them to a virtual cd, converting them to isos, extracting from the bins directly, but oddly none of them seem to work, (usually displaying some type of error message when I try to convert or extract.)  I had nearly given up when I tried something no-one suggested, I tried to simply convert the bin files into mp3s directly using Total Audio MP3 Converter 3, and, lo and behold, I get a perfectly playable mp3 from the game’s bin files.  Now here’s the problem, unless I buy Total Audio MP3 Converter 3, I only get half of the bin file converted.  So now I can get mp3s from the game audio, but I effectively only get half of the track (the audio stops mid sentence or song.)  I’ve been trying out other free mp3 converters with mixed results: many (Freemake Audio Converter, AVS-Audio-Converter) can’t convert bin files, while others (MP3 Audio Converter) can but have garbled or clipped results.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Obviously since I’m dealing with upwards of 2000 files per archive I need something that can convert more than 1 file at a time.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Converting Bin files (Over 2000) from old game into MP3s
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
    Game Data has often been stored in "bin" files for decades. It's not an established file format and is used for arbitrary data (like .DAT).

Usually, when a game has music it will use some proprietary format or do some wacky thing where it flips bytes around to prevent it being easily made playable outside the game.

It might be as simple as simply renaming the file to mp3.

In this case though, If the conversion tool is able to convert them then the data in the BIN files must be a recognizable sound format.

You might be able to open the BIN files using something like Audacity. It might be able to recognize the format. You can use that to apply a series of functions to a group of files. I used it to make an MP3 copy of my Music library which is in FLAC format so I could put them on my MP3 Player, for example, without explicitly converting each file. (You'd want to look up setting up a "Chain")
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Reddbane

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
      I Just tried importing into audacity.  All that came up is static.  Let me include a link to a sample of one of the bin files in case anyone wants to experiment with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=000003AB.bin

Reddbane

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
        By the by, I managed to acquire Total Audio MP3 Converter 3, so now I have converted all the sound files.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
        Did you buy it or did you do all the work with only the free version?
        How long did it take to convert 2000 files?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
        They said "acquire" so I presume they pirated it.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Reddbane

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

Well, I acquired it legally. You can be sure of that.