Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much power  (Read 2575 times)

Kelly Maxwell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    How much power
    « on: June 08, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »
    So I was talking to my father today and he wants to know how much power is used in a 1600 power supply unit in a high end gameing pc uses is it a lot of power like as much as an Xbox or more again or less thanks

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How much power
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:04:10 AM »
    The power consumed depends more on the hardware you are using rather than the power supply.  It will only pull what is needed, 1600w is essentially the maximum that the power supply can provide.  If you have a  1600w PSU but the machine only needs 200w then you'll pull just above 200w from the wall.  That said, a 1600w PSU is excessive in almost all cases.  What sort of hardware does this PC have?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
    Many good PSU designs conform to the 80 percent rule. The will convert household electrical power into the 12, 5 and 3 volt feeds needed by the motherboard and the drives. Here is an example:
    If the motherboard and the drives together need 320 watts then the power supply has to get 400 watts from the household electric system.
    Or, if the system  needs 560  watts, the power supply will use 700 watts.

Now about the Xbox. Often the power use is less than 150 watts.

The Big Power Hog in hour entertainment room is the TV set. It is over 1000 watts if it is a big screen.

Does this answer the question?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
    The Big Power Hog in hour entertainment room is the TV set. It is over 1000 watts if it is a big screen.
    50" Plasma uses ~300 Watts. LED/LCD uses one third and half of that (100,150) respectively.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
    I couldn't afford to watch a kilowatt TV very much. My green principles wouldn't let me have one. My Samsung 40 inch smart LED TV takes 45 watts. Its 50 inch big brother in the range takes 93 watts. Typical 32 - 36 inch CRT TVs from 2005 took around 160 to 200 watts (36 inches was big for a CRT TV).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
    Since 2011 the FTC has required that every TV display a yellow and black Energy Guide label estimating how much it costs to run for a year. The label assumes a price for electricity (11 cents/kWh) and a baseline usage (5 hours per day).

TV sets made in recent years have much lower power use. Some older TV entertainment systems had power consumption that are an order of magnitude higher.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
    TV sets made in recent years have much lower power use. Some older TV entertainment systems had power consumption that are an order of magnitude higher.

Anything more specific? My 27" RCA CRT manufactured in 2003 has a maximum Wattage rating of 135 Watts.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
    I used to repair vaccum tube TVs in the late 1970s and even the big power using monsters went up to around 250 -300 watts max. Think about it. At 110 volts these alleged kilowatt TVs are going to need getting on for 10 amps. Personally I think this is imaginary.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
    I got the number from a not reliable source. His reference was not to just the TV but the 'entertainment system' which claimed output of 1000 watts of audio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power
    Amplifiers are valued in part by their power output capacity. And in the interest of being able to advertise a higher power output number, manufacturers in the US (and elsewhere) began to take advantage of the highly variable nature of most audio signals (especially musical sources) and to cite the peak output (quite brief and rarely sustainable for long) as the amplifier power. There being no standards, imaginative approaches came to be so common that the US Federal Trade Commission intervened in the market and required all amplifier manufacturers to use an engineering based measure (root-mean square) in addition to any other value they might cite.

So yes, they never really consumed 1000 watts or real poser. I stand corrected.  :-[

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
    Oh yes the old PMP (Peak Music Power) measure which enabled a 2 W RMS amplifier to claim it was a "100 W amplifier" (or whatever figure they chose to use).

Kelly Maxwell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 02:11:07 AM »
      thank you very much every one who posted you are a big help

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 06:00:12 AM »
      if you want to find out exact amount without guessing, you can buy a Kil-a-watt device. I own one of these and its great to know how much stuff uses for power as well as when stuff is off how much power is being wasted etc.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

it has mode for line voltage, wattage uses, power factor, hz, and you can even have it calculate your electric bill cost per whatever is powered through it. It will tally us dollar amount based on kWh figure input to it.