Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comcast Extends Internet Essentials for Poor Folks  (Read 3912 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Comcast Extends Internet Essentials for Poor Folks
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:55:43 AM »
This is for the USA.
Sounds like a PR gimmick. Comcast can charge any price they want and still make money. In many places they are the only cable in town. I was quoted $50 a month on a contract. Too much for me. I am in the Poor house.
But in April Comcast did bring out a low-cost service for families that qualify. The rate is a low as $10 a month with speeds equal to or better than DSL. The catch? It is not available everywhere. Even in places where Comcast has a strong presence, It might not be in your neighborhood.
Here are the most recent articles:

http://www.babwnews.com/2016/03/comcast-and-hud-expanding-internet-program-for-low-income-families/
Comcast and HUD expanding internet program for low-income families

http://www.pcworld.com/article/237477/comcast_offers_10_a_month_internet_option_for_low_income_families.html
Comcast Offers $10 a Month Internet Option For Low-Income Families

Has anybody here been able to get $10 a month internet withing the past year?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Comcast Extends Internet Essentials for Poor Folks
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
I have comcast and this is the first i have heard of this. I am guessing if its available you cant just go in and claim you want the $10 service. You would probably have to disclose actual income and be proven that your hard up. Cheapest internet package I saw available in my area was a $34.99 package for 3/1mbps. It wasnt enough bandwidth for Vonage VoIP and all users, so I went with the XFINITY® Performance Internet $44.99 per month for 12 months No Contract! This use to be 5/1 but is now 25/5 bandwidth. They also have larger bandwidth plans available for more cash too. But If it takes 5 minutes or 1 minute to download I am patient. Additionally a large download for a 28GB game installation I will just set it to download before I go to sleep and wake up the next day and its complete etc.

http://xfinityspecial.com/lebanon-new-hampshire/internet.php?gclid=CK7vq8vpnc0CFQctaQodaccF-Q

Prior to this I was paying over $120 a month for a package with cable TV. I did away with cable TV about 6 years ago.

It would be nice if a cheaper internet provider came along with minimum of 5/1mbps bandwidth which is all I need. My Performance Internet package I get around 25/5mbps.

I also save $6 a month not paying a lease fee on my modem. I bought my own surfboard modem for like $58 and within 10 months it paid itself off and that was almost 5 years ago. So I saved about $360 so far in not wasting money in modem lease fees. When the modem lease was only $3 I had no problem paying that because modems were costly and if it gets fried they had to give me a new one. But after having theirs for years with no problems and then they started hiking up the modem lease fees when the price of modems dropped significantly, I decided to then buy an exact same model modem and shut off this unnecessary $6 per month fee and take the risk that if it gets fried I will have to buy a new one. Since then I acquired another same modem for free that works, so if this one burns up I have a spare to install. Its just a matter of calling comcast and getting connected with the right person and give the mac address of the replacement modem and reboot and be up and running again.