Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Operating System Found  (Read 10184 times)

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    No Operating System Found
    « on: June 16, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
    So here is my situation. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400 which was operating windows 7 quite nicely until Microsoft did the forced upgrade to Windows 10 and corrupted my hard drive. A technician at Microsoft had to wipe the hard drive clean from the dreaded blue screen of death so there is currently no o/s on my computer. I am unable to read the sticker with the windows 7 product key information so I was forced to order the factory recovery installation discs which have the windows operating system embedded in them to re-install windows and have also purchased a new hard drive. The problem is that when I go to boot the cd's into the drive the hard drive, cd drive and pci lan all say "no operating system found". I have been through the bios setup boot list and all the steps that should get the discs to start but nothing. I am not sure if I need to format the new hard drive but my understanding was that the discs would do that for me. This should be an easy fix with the discs to avoid spending money for someone to install another retail copy of windows onto my system but I am not making any progress with this on my own. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: No Operating System Found
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »
    Microsoft wiped your HDD ? ?

I let that one go...to boot to the CD in BIOS set CD Rom to 1st in boot order...press F10 to save changes and exit....
    It should then re-boot to the install CD.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
      Yes a technician at a Microsoft store wiped it clean. They tried to re-install windows 7 but they needed the product key. Then they tried to try to install windows 10 again but my hard drive was struggling...so in the end they wiped everything off the system and said it was best to replace my hard drive or buy a new computer...of course they offered me a discount on one of theirs. So I walked out with no o/s and little did I know how challenging it would be to get it up and running again. Must be a clean install.
      Thanks but I have tried what you suggested with the boot order but still no go unfortunately. CD and Hard Drive are set up at top of boot priority list.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »
      CD/DVD should be 1st.
      And it's inexcusable for them to let you walk out without fixing it...
      I hope you didn't pay them...

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »
        No I didn't pay them, their further destruction of my computer was complimentary :)

After troubleshooting over the phone with Microsoft they sent me into one of their retail
        locations to get a tech to look at it. I could only leave my computer there for the day so
        in all fairness to them they had limited time to look at it...however the tech was clearly
        not sure how to fix it and simply made it look like they were trying to do something constructive
        to save my computer. Would still be gladly running my windows 7 if they hadn't forced this
        upgrade.

I am pretty sure that I have CD at the top of list but I will check again. Thanks

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
          So I confirmed the boot priority list order and this is what comes up when I go to boot
          the recovery CDS

Cannot boot from any device

1) Atapi CD0 - no valid operating system
          2) Ata HDD0 - no valid operating system

I am at a loss at what to do next. Confirmed that the new hard drive was connected okay.
          Am I missing something?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »
          It could be the optical drive's fault...are you sure the CD is bootable ? ?

You can test it on another PC without running setup just to see if it works...

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
            Sorry a beginner here...not sure how to check if cd is bootable. I did try on another computer when I started troubleshooting this awhile back but not sure how to verify that is bootable...nothing popped up on screen when I put into drive...should something come up on the screen to prompt you to the next step? Thanks

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »
            Yes...if the CD is bootable...and CD drive is set to 1st in boot order it should skip everything and boot directly to the CD...
            What exactly does it say on this CD they sent you ? ?

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
              One more thing...when I start the computer there is a message that says

Media test failure, check cable.

Not sure if this is relevant to getting the discs to boot.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
              It is...check all connections to the drives MBoard.
              Also if it's a desktop you may need a new CMOS battery...Part # CR2032...available anywhere.
              Remove all power to replace it.
              If you know anyone who knows/builds PC's in your area you may wanna ask for an assist...
              Good Luck.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »
                Still working on this.

Do you have to take the laptop completely apart to check drive connections to the motherboard?

If so I think that I may have to take to a computer repair person...perhaps I have reached my limitations on what I can do myself.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
                "Media test failure, check cable." is from an attempt to boot from the network. Obviously since you aren't trying to do that it fails to do so. Most systems are configured such that they will attempt to boot from the network failing all other options.

It sounds like the Disc(s) you have are possibly not bootable, for whatever reason. If there are multiple then you would insert the first one, I presume. They might be ridiculous enough to instead require you to run them from within an OS to setup a recovery partition, which would of course be useless here.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
                  I think that they are useless for the purpose here due to the fact that I have a new hard drive...of course both Lenovo and Microsoft recommended that I purchase them even after explaining my scenario..

Looks like the only solution is to do a clean install with a new copy of windows 7..not happy I spent $39 plus tax and shipping on these. Maybe I will do some research on alternative operating systems like Linux...

Thanks to everyone for their help... :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
                  I suppose you have another computer, otherwise you could not post here.

Do this in Google:
                  find computer club near me

It should show a map of places near you where computer users meet together.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:09 AM »
                    So I was able to get a computer repair guy to diagnose my issues and it looks like everything works okay and there are no problems other than not having an operating system on it...when he put a disc in the machine it prompted right away to load the o/s software. So the recovery discs that I ordered from the manufacturer are basically useless to me. Not impressed.

It seems like all the computer repair people use hacked copies of windows 7 and charge for their time rather than installing an authentic copy...does anyone know if I can download and activate a copy of windows 10 from Microsoft and if it would recognize through my motherboard/serial numbers that I had a copy of windows 7 before they wiped it off and I installed a new hard drive? If it does then I can get the free upgrade but otherwise I am paying $120 for a genuine retail copy. Just trying to find a way around paying again for software when I already had it on my laptop but because I don't have the original windows 7 product key and have replaced my hard drive I'm not sure what is possible.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
                    I don't understand ? ?...Why would the factory discs be useless ?
                    If it were me i'd format and do a clean install with the factory restore CD's.
                    Then you have a fully legit OS installed...rather than some sham copy.

At that point you can update to Win 10 if you like.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
                      I don't understand either. Perhaps the cds aren't bootable? I put them into another computer and nothing came up except to read the files on the disc..should they be prompting me to install or boot something?

If there a program I could download to CD to format the new hard drive?

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
                      You can format the drive early on in the setup process...the CD's should be bootable.
                      Are you sure you have CD set as the 1st boot device in the BIOS ?

What exactly does it say on these CD's ? ?

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
                        Yes the first boot order is CD...the computer guy put a hacked copy of windows 7 disc in to test it and it prompted the installation process right away.

The cds don't say anything about being bootable on them but disc 1 is an operating system recovery disc Windows 7 home premium and the other 2 discs are Applications and Drivers Windows 7 Recovery Media  for windows 7 products. I've tried installing all of them and it just says operating system not found.

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
                        Boot to the 1st one....if it doesn't work re-enter BIOS...set CD as 1st boot device...then press F10 to "save changes and exit"...

It sounds to me as CD isnt set properly for boot...follow the above.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
                          It's been set up properly in bios. Everything booted right away from the hacked CD of windows 7 but I don't want to put that on my system. It was only a test.

I just spoke to the manufacturer and they think they sent me the wrong discs..should be 32 bit and not 64 and that is why it isn't working.

Lots of conflicting information and frustration dealing with these companies..no consistency and I simply ordered what they told me to.

Still not sure if I need to format my new hard drive first..haven't even reached the setup menu or had any progress with these discs...

patio

• Genius
                          • Maud' Dib
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
                          32 bit vs. 64 bit wouldn't matter at all.
                          Are you still getting the media test failure...or not ?

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
                            Yes it still comes up...only when I turn on computer and then when I go to install the discs it says operating system not found. I talked to someone at Microsoft today where I first took my laptop and they said I possibly need a product key to install discs which I don't have...can't even get the discs to boot to discover any of these things..so fed up with this merry go round...

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
                            Then the BIOS is NOT set properly for boot...which is where we started...

You may need a new CMOS battery...part # CR2032...available anywhere.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
                            so fed up with this merry go round...

It seems that the repair people and support staff you are getting assistance from (Except here, of course... Speaking of folks like the MS support tech you mention) have no idea what they are talking about. What the MS Tech said makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  What do they expect you are you going to do with the product key to magically start it booting? sing to the PC with it?

Based on what you've said and since the bootable Disc you do have already boots up, the CDs you have are fairly certainly not bootable. (And despite the MS tech's suggestion, you having a product key won't magically make them so!)

It sounds like there isn't but your PC ought to have a "certificate of authenticity" on the case from when you first bought it. If so you can use that product key, and you can get a Windows 7 ISO to install here (You would burn the ISO to the disc using another PC and a tool such as FreeISOBurner.
                            Does your PC have one of those "certificate of authenticity" stickers that are common on PCs nowadays?

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
                            Based on what you've said and since the bootable Disc you do have already boots up, the CDs you have are fairly certainly not bootable. (And despite the MS tech's suggestion, you having a product key won't magically make them so!)

Good point BC...i had missed the detail that the bootleg Win7 Cd did work...thanx.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                            • Geek After Dark
                              • Gekk9pm bnlog
                            « Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »
                            For what it is worth...
                            You Tube has lots of videos  about doing an install of Windows 7.
                            Here:
                            you tube how to install windows 7
                            There are at least ten, if not a dozen. :)

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
                              I am the second owner of this pc and yes there is an original sticker of authenticity on the bottom of the pc but it is worn down and completely unreadable...so when the Microsoft removed the windows 10 operating system from my computer and tried to re-install 7 we ran into the product key not being available...so I was left with no o/s on my computer.

So basically I am starting from scratch again...which led me to ordering the cds from Lenovo because I was told that would be the cheapest method to re-install factory software onto my machine..but nothing is happening when I insert them into the drive...only says no o/s found

Tried to call Lenovo yesterday to get basic information about the discs and good luck getting any help without a warranty..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                              • Geek After Dark
                                • Gekk9pm bnlog
                              « Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
                              Regrettably, no one here can help you at this point. Other that the suggestion of something outside of the rules established  ed by Microsoft.

On eBay one can find a version of Windows 7 for under $40. But you have to read the details carefully. What you really want is a valid sticker with a valid product key. A facsimile of a sticker does not count.  The disc itself, with no product key, is worth about $10. But what matters is getting a real product key.

IMHO, you shouldn't ha veto pay for anything. There might be a way of looking at the sticker under a black light and read the product key. A portable black light can be had for under $10. Ask a friend if he has one you have borrow. Sometimes people have them for fish tan ks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
                              IMHO, you shouldn't ha veto pay for anything.
                              Agreed 100%.

A technician at Microsoft had to wipe the hard drive clean from the dreaded blue screen of death so there is currently no o/s on my computer.
                              This idiot is the one responsible. The number of things wrong with almost everything that is being described as what they did is mind boggling, but at the same time, I can actually believe that a Microsoft tech at one of their stores actually thinks literally wiping the computer and making it unbootable is a good solution to a blue screen issue.

I'd be raising a fuss with the store. Aside from having idiot employees, it sounds like they refuse responsibility as well, then make up complete gibberish, (like how the CD would somehow change from being unbootable to being bootable because you have a product key...). This is irresponsible behaviour from people that are supposed to know what they are doing that users who are not familiar with the inner workings of the system depend on for advice and support.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
                                I can't believe the incompetence of people at both Lenovo and Microsoft..

This should have been a simple fix however it wasn't due to all the inconsistent information that I have been given along the way...

Turns out after another call to Lenovo today that they sent me the wrong recovery discs. Had enough of this nonsense. I have requested a refund for them and will be looking on ebay for an authentic copy of windows 7.

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:01 PM »
                                Good Luck with that...there's very few legit ones out there...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                • Geek After Dark
                                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                « Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
                                Getting a bogus copy of Windows 7 is very risky.  The pirate may have done a lot of dirty things to it. A better method is to get a real copy of Windows 7 in a legal way without paying anything for it. At the poin, this problem is just about getting a good product key without theft, deception  or fraud.

Example: A school has some old computers they want to scrap because of hardware problems. They may let you have the COA stickers if you will pay for the disposal at a proper recycle center. You might salvage some memory chips and CPUs and other items to help defray your cost of disposal. In that case, the COA is free.

Of course that tastes work.  Anything takes work.  8)