Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Operating System Found  (Read 10176 times)

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: No Operating System Found
    « Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:09 AM »
    So I was able to get a computer repair guy to diagnose my issues and it looks like everything works okay and there are no problems other than not having an operating system on it...when he put a disc in the machine it prompted right away to load the o/s software. So the recovery discs that I ordered from the manufacturer are basically useless to me. Not impressed.

It seems like all the computer repair people use hacked copies of windows 7 and charge for their time rather than installing an authentic copy...does anyone know if I can download and activate a copy of windows 10 from Microsoft and if it would recognize through my motherboard/serial numbers that I had a copy of windows 7 before they wiped it off and I installed a new hard drive? If it does then I can get the free upgrade but otherwise I am paying $120 for a genuine retail copy. Just trying to find a way around paying again for software when I already had it on my laptop but because I don't have the original windows 7 product key and have replaced my hard drive I'm not sure what is possible.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
    I don't understand ? ?...Why would the factory discs be useless ?
    If it were me i'd format and do a clean install with the factory restore CD's.
    Then you have a fully legit OS installed...rather than some sham copy.

At that point you can update to Win 10 if you like.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
      I don't understand either. Perhaps the cds aren't bootable? I put them into another computer and nothing came up except to read the files on the disc..should they be prompting me to install or boot something?

If there a program I could download to CD to format the new hard drive?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
      You can format the drive early on in the setup process...the CD's should be bootable.
      Are you sure you have CD set as the 1st boot device in the BIOS ?

What exactly does it say on these CD's ? ?

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
        Yes the first boot order is CD...the computer guy put a hacked copy of windows 7 disc in to test it and it prompted the installation process right away.

The cds don't say anything about being bootable on them but disc 1 is an operating system recovery disc Windows 7 home premium and the other 2 discs are Applications and Drivers Windows 7 Recovery Media  for windows 7 products. I've tried installing all of them and it just says operating system not found.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
        Boot to the 1st one....if it doesn't work re-enter BIOS...set CD as 1st boot device...then press F10 to "save changes and exit"...

It sounds to me as CD isnt set properly for boot...follow the above.

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
          It's been set up properly in bios. Everything booted right away from the hacked CD of windows 7 but I don't want to put that on my system. It was only a test.

I just spoke to the manufacturer and they think they sent me the wrong discs..should be 32 bit and not 64 and that is why it isn't working.

Lots of conflicting information and frustration dealing with these companies..no consistency and I simply ordered what they told me to.

Still not sure if I need to format my new hard drive first..haven't even reached the setup menu or had any progress with these discs...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
          32 bit vs. 64 bit wouldn't matter at all.
          Are you still getting the media test failure...or not ?

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
            Yes it still comes up...only when I turn on computer and then when I go to install the discs it says operating system not found. I talked to someone at Microsoft today where I first took my laptop and they said I possibly need a product key to install discs which I don't have...can't even get the discs to boot to discover any of these things..so fed up with this merry go round...

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
            Then the BIOS is NOT set properly for boot...which is where we started...

You may need a new CMOS battery...part # CR2032...available anywhere.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
            so fed up with this merry go round...

It seems that the repair people and support staff you are getting assistance from (Except here, of course... Speaking of folks like the MS support tech you mention) have no idea what they are talking about. What the MS Tech said makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  What do they expect you are you going to do with the product key to magically start it booting? sing to the PC with it?

Based on what you've said and since the bootable Disc you do have already boots up, the CDs you have are fairly certainly not bootable. (And despite the MS tech's suggestion, you having a product key won't magically make them so!)

It sounds like there isn't but your PC ought to have a "certificate of authenticity" on the case from when you first bought it. If so you can use that product key, and you can get a Windows 7 ISO to install here (You would burn the ISO to the disc using another PC and a tool such as FreeISOBurner.
            Does your PC have one of those "certificate of authenticity" stickers that are common on PCs nowadays?
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
            Based on what you've said and since the bootable Disc you do have already boots up, the CDs you have are fairly certainly not bootable. (And despite the MS tech's suggestion, you having a product key won't magically make them so!)

Good point BC...i had missed the detail that the bootleg Win7 Cd did work...thanx.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »
            For what it is worth...
            You Tube has lots of videos  about doing an install of Windows 7.
            Here:
            you tube how to install windows 7
            There are at least ten, if not a dozen. :)

lovebug

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
              I am the second owner of this pc and yes there is an original sticker of authenticity on the bottom of the pc but it is worn down and completely unreadable...so when the Microsoft removed the windows 10 operating system from my computer and tried to re-install 7 we ran into the product key not being available...so I was left with no o/s on my computer.

So basically I am starting from scratch again...which led me to ordering the cds from Lenovo because I was told that would be the cheapest method to re-install factory software onto my machine..but nothing is happening when I insert them into the drive...only says no o/s found

Tried to call Lenovo yesterday to get basic information about the discs and good luck getting any help without a warranty..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
              Regrettably, no one here can help you at this point. Other that the suggestion of something outside of the rules established  ed by Microsoft.

On eBay one can find a version of Windows 7 for under $40. But you have to read the details carefully. What you really want is a valid sticker with a valid product key. A facsimile of a sticker does not count.  The disc itself, with no product key, is worth about $10. But what matters is getting a real product key.

IMHO, you shouldn't ha veto pay for anything. There might be a way of looking at the sticker under a black light and read the product key. A portable black light can be had for under $10. Ask a friend if he has one you have borrow. Sometimes people have them for fish tan ks.