Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spy Sweeper  (Read 4217 times)

yramusa

Spy Sweeper
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:07:45 AM »
Hi,

I've heard that Spy Sweeper is one of the better spyware removal/detection software.  Any opinions?  I've downloaded the trial, but am hesitant to buy until a get some feedback.  

Thanks,

Mary

Champion_Munch

Re: Spy Sweeper
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:45:09 AM »
It often gets many rave reviews from experts, however I have only trailed it once, in which time it did little to convince me of it's supposed abilities.

Plenty of freeware anti-spyware applications available, I don't think there's really much point. :)

with regards

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:03:36 AM »
I agree. The free ones are just as good, and much cheaper.

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »
    i don't agree, i don't know another program that is better than spysweeper to remove spyware, buth... if you use a combination of other programs, it might be better than only one program (example spysweeper) i bought it, and i am really happy with it, it made my computer clean and it protected it well
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Champion_Munch

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »
    Yes, having more than one anti-spyware program is a good idea... I was just disappointed with SpySweeper's performance when I used it. :)

I prefer to use a combination of free anti-spyware applications, while others may feel more "secure" with commercial products.

with regards

yramusa

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »
    Thanks.  I also have others...Spyware Dr., Pest Patrol, Spybot.  I even used the Microsoft beta spyware blocker for a while.  I had heard Spy Sweeper was the best lately, and I just wondered if it was worth it to actually break down and pay for software for a change.  ;D

Mary

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:24:31 PM »
    No need for spyware programs if you have a decent firewall.

And disable remote acccess/and any p_2P programs.

Champion_Munch

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »
    No need for spyware programs if you have a decent firewall.

Not true. A firewall will not always prevent installation of spyware. If that was the case then there would be no anti-spyware software, and the number of firewall companies would be up around the 10k mark.

And yeah, not using P2P is a good idea. :)

with regards[/color]

yramusa

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 05:55:45 PM »
    I use Zone Alarm (the free version) for my firewall.  There is an option in there to block the hosts file, which I've done.  

What are P2P programs?

Thanks,

Mary

yramusa

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »
    I forgot to mention that I run Win XP Corp.

Mary

Champion_Munch

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 06:00:06 PM »
    P2P - or Peer to Peer - are programs that allow you to download music, software and other files for free. Examples include BearShare, Kazaa and Limewire.

Downloading files from these networks often ends up with the user getting spyware installed on their system. Some of these P2P utilities even install spyware themselves, so it's best to just steer clear of them. :)

with regards