Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error code 43 on my GPU  (Read 2358 times)

vitaum88

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Error code 43 on my GPU
    « on: July 11, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »
    Hello everybody

First of all, my laptop is the Asus VivoBook S551LB-CJ025H - specs on this link:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-VivoBook-S551LB-CJ025H.102161.0.html

I updated it to Windows 10 on July, 2015, and I'm pretty sure the update has at least *something* to do with my issue.

I play a few games in it and back in October I started to have a sudden FPS drop. After evaluating the problem, I noticed there was a exclamation mark ( ! ) next to my video card - NVIDIA 740m. My system was using the onboard GPU Intel HD Graphics (or something like that), thus the low FPS. The dedicated GPU status contained the following error:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

After a few trials with "solutions" I found on the internet, installing, uninstalling, replacing drivers, restarting, DDU removal tool, disabling Windows Update, etc, etc, suddenly my video card was OK and my FPS was back to normal on my games. Please note I have no clue what the exact solution was. It got fixed after dozens of system restores, rebooting, etc, so I'm really not sure what step I did that fixed it.

The problem is that lately I've experienced the same FPS drop, and when I tried to troubleshoot I noticed the very same error as before.

The thing is: last time I had the feeling there was a problem with Windows 10, ASUS and the current driver version. I *believe* I fixed it with an older driver, but I've tried it again this time and it didn't work. However, I cannot attest that the driver was recently updated, thus bringing the problem. Even if I wanted to, I lost the history of it when I uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.

Can anyone please help me on this one? I'm pretty much out of possible solutions.

Thanks in advance for the support

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Error code 43 on my GPU
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:09 AM »
    Where did you get the drivers from ? ?...with laptops you should only use the laptop manuf. drivers...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

vitaum88

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
      I'd really love that, but windows keep (kept?) updating them by itself via NVIDIA software. Also, if you go to asus webpage, the last driver for my pc is like from 2014, when there was not even windows 10 out yet.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
      Then i'm afraid you will continue to have issues running Win 10 on that PC...
      If it were me i would completely uninstall all nvidia software...then replace your vid driver with the newest one available from the manuf...

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
      Your other choice would be to run the factory restore from the hidden partition to take the PC back to Day 1 status...

Note:...This wipes all data and apps so make sure to backup what you need to keep...

vitaum88

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
        Hey, when you say delete all drivers and install the original from the manufacturer, is it advisable to use the windows 8.1 *manufacturer approved* driver on my windows 10? Would that cause conflicts?

vitaum88

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
          Well, I was very skeptic about upgrading my BIOS. The latest bios (212) on ASUS website that was said to be working for windows 10 was developed on 2014.... Before windows 10 launch haha... So I wasnt upgrading... I said to myself: I'm gonna upgrade this BIOS and then try some other driver mentioned in another solution.. Surprise: the BIOS worked... and now my screen is flashing like crazy and the driving is installed correctly... It seems that the problem is solved!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »
          I seriously doubt it was a BIOS issue...and isuspect your symptoms will soon return.