Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error message explanation..  (Read 2771 times)

Virginia

Error message explanation..
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »
While trying to sort out what was a defective hdd the following error message was displayed "Error while enumerating files".  Just for interest sake can anyone explain in simple terms what would have caused this error and what it means.

What I have found with Google just leaves me more puzzled.

Thanks..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 07:42:11 PM by Virginia »

GX1_Man

Re: Error message explanation..
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 08:52:25 PM »
And what did you find?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:29:27 AM »
Sorry - should have mentioned running XP Home/NTFS SP.2.

Google came up with 2040k hits, a bit too many for me to open individually.  Some mentioned enumerating the registry, others enumerating folders but none I opened came thru' with an explanation of enumeration as applied to files.

Wikipedia comes thru' with:
"Enumeration is the name given to the kind of mathematics that deals with counting objects. The objective is to find general methods that do not depend on knowing individual examples.

Kinds of enumeration include algebraic enumeration and combinatorial enumeration.
"

That is above my level of knowledge

Because the hard-drive was defective could the error message mean that a total number of files did not agree with the actual number of files found on the disk?

Perhaps, in this case, it is rocket science & I should have posted on the NASA site.. ???

Mac

Error message explanation..
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:12:06 AM »
It means exactly what it says, there was an error when counting the number of files.

Take a look at the Word Enumeration in a Thesaurus.

I really like your frank and open honesty, it makes a very refreshing change.

:)

At what stage did this occur? It can happen if the files need to have - chkdsk /f - run on them, if the drive needs defragmenting badly or if there is a problem with the Master File Tables.

Physical defects in the drive, or data corruption can also be the cause, and faulty RAM or bad, or badly screened, IDE cables which cause cross-talk can produce data  corruption, as can any connections which are not properly made.

Have you run a test on your RAM with MemTest86?

Have you re-seated the RAM at any point in the life of the computer?

If the computer is five years old, or more, have you changed the CMOS battery?

If you run - chkdsk - from a Command prompt what do you see in relation to Bad Sectors or 4096 Bytes in each allocation unit?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:36:22 AM »
I appreciate your diligence in your research before asking the question. Good for you!

Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:11:18 PM »
Mac... Thank you.  The query I posted has been bugging me for many days.  The error message appeared as a result of trying to run DIR C: from the Recovery Console and you hit it spot on, the Master File Table was corrupt.  Turned out that the hdd was defective (see my original post here).  The defect has since been confirmed by a fully-spec'd techie who believes it had suffered a head-crash.  Thanks for taking the time to respond so fully.  I have now found out from you that the number of files is counted, and checked, by the OS, another little bit of info in the overall XP jigsaw to be filed away.

GX1_Man...  Thank you.  Your comment sure is a confidence booster.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »
 A dodgy hard drive would not display this error?

Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 10:50:34 PM »
Merlin...  Then what other explanation can you offer?  Can you direct me to a site for a better explanation please?.  

Always willing to learn.

Thanks