Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Countdown. Who Cares?  (Read 1810 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10 Countdown. Who Cares?
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
This month the free windows 7 or 8 upgrade to Windows 10 expires. Is that really important to you? Maybe not.
If you just now just now decide to do the upgrade, here is an important tip.
Have in  place a Backup Plan.
It can be another hard drive, a stack of DVDs, a big USB thumbscrew or even another PC. with extra drive space.  After you have installed Windows 10, you can use your backup to revert back to Windows  7, if need be.

Here is an article explaining how to backup before you do Windows 10.

How to backup your PC before upgrading to Windows 10
   By Graham Barlow September 16, 2015
While it's highly unlikely that anything will go wrong in the course of an upgrade, we'd still recommend being safe – a new install is a good excuse for a backup! If you're heading for a clean install or an upgrade, you'll want to make sure you don't lose anything valuable in the process
Also, some free cloud storage services will give you enough space to backup a stripped down version of your current OS.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows 10 Countdown. Who Cares?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
This month the free windows 7 or 8 upgrade to Windows 10 expires. Is that really important to you? Maybe not.
Well, if you want to upgrade for free, you gotta do it by July 29.  I have upgraded my laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10; I had no doubt about doing that upgrade.  I also updated a Win 7 Pro system to Win 10; I debated over whether to do that upgrade.  I still have Win 7 OS disc I can legally install on another computer; I do not intend to install it on a computer and upgrade to Win 10 during the free upgrade period; I still want to have available a working Win 7 system.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 10 Countdown. Who Cares?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
I have upgraded two computers using the ISO image instead of the on-line update. By using the custom install option I end up with both a copy of Win7 and Win 10 on  each machine. (I have two Microsoft  DVDs of Windows 7 with product keys.)
So based on my personal experience, MS will let you have a dual boot 7 and 10 on a computer.  Somebody said that is not legal.

But here is a new link that says it is legal to dual boot.
http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/
He has nice graphics that show the steps.