Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Russian viruses  (Read 5705 times)

onfiregirl4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Russian viruses
    « on: July 16, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
    Hello, I am using Windows 8.1, 64bit operating system on a Lenovo G50-70 laptop. I turned on the laptop one day and saw 3 strange icons (shortcuts) I've never seen on my desktop, which I assume are in Russian (I do not speak Russian). I thought that maybe someone needed it in my family, so I ignored it and opened the browser (Google Chrome) and it redirected me to a different site (Link removed...). I checked Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, too, and the problem was present in both of them. During browsing I got pop-up ads. I assumed it was a virus, so I checked the extensions and disabled and deleted the extensions (except for Internet Explorer-it wouldn't let me delete the extensions). The problem wasn't gone. I tried to uninstall the program through control panel (Uninstall a program), but the program wasn't there. I was weirded out, so I tried checking which programs would be affected if I made a system restore (but I can't, because I have pictures and folders on the computer that I don't want to lose), and the program was there. I even tried searching for it in the search bar (in Uninstall a program), but it was still not there. I made several scans on Lenovo solution center, AVG Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Exterminate It. Some detected a few problems and I deleted them, but the virus was still there. I checked the Temp folder and found some .exe files that were not downloaded by me and I assume they are the problem. There is no uninstall.exe and if i click the (virus name).exe, it's all in Russian and I can't understand anything. There are two buttons (one with an administrator shield and one blank. The blank one closes the setup). I checked the Google Chrome history and I found out that the virus site is in my history for 11.36 PM, even if it's not 11.36 PM yet. If I right click any of the shortcuts and click 'Open file location', it highlights the 'explorer.exe' folder in my windows folder (located in C:). Clicking that leads me to the 'This PC' window, where I see nothing different from before.
    What is the problem? Is there a way to uninstall these viruses? If so, how?
    Please, help me. All help is appreciated. If you have any additional questions, I will answer if I can.
    Sorry for bad English, it's not my first language.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:20:22 PM by patio »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Russian viruses
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
    Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html