Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD powers down randomly on laptops battery power  (Read 2790 times)

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    HDD powers down randomly on laptops battery power
    « on: July 27, 2016, 12:22:51 AM »
    Hey guys

I have a laptop (MSI GX70) which when it is on battery power for about 5 minutes it turns it self off. I hear a little click from the HD which sounds like it powering down and the computer freezes and shuts down. When it started doing this i was recently upgraded to windows 10 so i completely wiped the computer and put windows 8.1 back on hoping that would help. It still kept doing it after that. Around the same time as upgrading i also had to replace my battery, but i replaced it with an after market battery rather than one from the supplier so now i wonder if possibly the laptop is receiving enough power from the battery. Where i am at now, i need to figure whether i need to replace the Harddrive or the battery. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this and determine what i need to fix here?

Thanks for your time.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HDD powers down randomly on laptops battery power
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:31:04 AM »
    The hard drive may be rte real issue.
     If so, you have to get another hard drive.
     But if not, you have a spare hard drive.

That is what a technician would try.
    When a hard drive starts to fail it can draw more power, which will overload the battery but the the AC supply.

Do you have an extended warranty for this laptop?

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:54 AM »
      Hey Geek thanks for your reply. I do not have a spare hard drive. I am more than willing to buy one, i just didn't want to waste the money if the hard drive was not actually the problem. So you think i should go ahead with the purchase of a new harddrive?

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:56:49 AM »
        Just to add to this, when i put my laptop on battery saver the laptop goes EXTREMELY slow. To the point where it takes 10 minutes for the computer to turn on and 2 minutes just to open up a folder.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:12 AM »
        It actually sounds like it's the battery to me...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:32 AM »
          Is there any way i could diagnose this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
          Is there any way i could diagnose this?
          Yes, here is a list of this from the archives. (This search includes some articles found by Google)
          http://www.computerhope.com/search2.htm?cx=partner-pub-3999293766533555%3Aelr5q296e0z&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=test%20laptop%20battery

The preferred diagnostics by factory-trained technicians is direct substitution. The cost of anew replacement power brick  is not very expensive. A technician might charge $25 just to makes some simple tests. You can do almost the same testing with a new changer.
          Example: A new changer for my Dell laptop is under $10 at Amazon.

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:38:39 AM »
            I will definitely try these diagnostics. If anyone has another others that would be appreciated. My laptop is quiet expensive so the parts like the battery and charger is also expensive.

Queenlizzybeth

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 05:27:38 AM »
              If were you, before buying anything, I would first make sure that there's no dust around any part of your laptop. Not sure how technical you are or comfortable opening up your laptop, and if you don't know how, don't. If you are, I would remove the battery and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds to a min to be on the safe side.. And then proceed to open up your laptop to make sure you don't have no dust covering any parts of your laptop, your heat sink has enough thermal paste and your fan is working correctly. Unplug your fan, and replug is back in along with the other parts of your laptop. Now you would want to test it out.. So make sure your battery still isn't connected, all your components are correctly connect. Close your laptop but don't put any screws in yet in case your missed something. If you have a portable fan, use that to keep your laptop cool and then it on.. Make sure your have a back up of your HDD and perform a factory reset on your laptop.  After all is done. See how long it would stay on for...

hishon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
                Hey Quueenlizzy

Thanks for the reply. I will try this ASAP and see if i have any luck!