Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Connection Sharing causes Failure to display security and shutdown opt  (Read 3867 times)

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So for some reason, whenever I enable ICS from my computer to my Xbox, I eventually (may take awhile but eventually) I will be unable to start any programs, I will not be able to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and trying to do so will give me the error "Failure to display security and shutdown options", and I cannot click on the Windows search bar to bring it up. Any suggestions?
Things I have already tried:

Reinstalling Windows
Changing network card
Restarting
netsh winsock reset
Checking for Windows OS corruption
Googling

Any other suggestions?

AMD FX-8350
GTX 970
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Mobo
1 TB HDD
16 GB of RAM at 1866 Mhz

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Some detail needed. What operating system are you using?
How are you doing Internet Sharing with your Xbox?
Is your Intent via  cable modem?
Are you using a router with both Ethernet and Wi-Fi (wireless)?
Can you connect the Xbox without Internet sharing?

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
Sorry, Windows 10; didn't put it in that topic by accident :)
Yes, internet connection sharing from my Wifi adapter to my Ethernet port on the back, which is connected directly to my Xbox.
Cable modem? Sort of?
Yes
No, I'm doing it in order to stream games from Xbox to PC with some sort of quality.

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
Anyone have any ideas? :P

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Possibly your PC might have some trouble.
However, a Google search shows others connect to the Internt using wireless on the Xbox. Can you do that?
Reference:
http://www.overstock.com/guides/connecting-your-xbox-360-console-to-the-internet
Connect your wireless network adapter. If your Xbox 360 console has built-in Wi-Fi, such as the Xbox 360 S, skip to the next step. Otherwise, snap the adapter into the tab slots on the back of the video game console and plug the USB cable into the port beneath. Extend the antenna. The green light on the adapter will turn on when it's working.
But the Wi-Fi adapter for the X Box is very privy and you are using sharing as an alternative. So let me offer two ideas.
A.) Go over you computer and look for any sign of malware or wrong settings.
B. ) Find a very low-cost alternative to the Xbox Wi-Fi adapter. I think you can get something for under $20 if you shop around.
But the major stores are charging way too much for this sort of thing.
I have found  cheap Wi-Fi extenders for under $20 on eBay. An extender have serve as a bridge for Wi-Fi to Ethernet. Here is a typical item on eBay.

Click on the attachment to see a large view. I have bought two of the kind of such things from different vendors. Some have build-in antenna and work good. What you want is called a wireless client. It receives a signal and converts it to Ethernet.
(I rubbed out the sellers name. Many sell this product and different prices.)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]