Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Wait to Buy New Smartphone.  (Read 3345 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Why Wait to Buy New Smartphone.
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:27:58 PM »
Becuse some new stuff in coming very soon.
This was just published:

Why you shouldn't buy a smartphone now

Also, look at this:
Nokia UNLOCKED Nokia Lumia 520 3G Phone, 4" Touch Screen, 5MP 720P Camera, Windows Pho

No, I am not selling smartphones. Just letting you know the marketplace is going into free fall soon. You will fine top smartphones dropping in price.
Why? In a word: China.  :)

Published earlier this year:
http://www.cnet.com/news/new-chinese-phones-cheaper-and-good-enough/
You don't have to buy an Apple iPhone 6S or Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to get a decent phone anymore.   ... because the gap between top-of-the line and mid-tier phones is shrinking. Differences between camera quality and processor speeds, for example, are fairly small these days. Good enough has added benefit of price, since carriers now want you to pay the full cost of that spiffy, new phone right from the get-go. So where a basic iPhone 6S will set you back $650, you can spend half that for many of these Chinese phones.   

Salmon Trout

Re: Why Wait to Buy New Smartphone.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »
So where a basic iPhone 6S will set you back $650, you can spend half that for many of these Chinese phones.   
Er... aren't Apple phones "Chinese phones"? Shenzen was in China last time I looked at a map of the world.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »
Er... aren't Apple phones "Chinese phones"? Shenzen was in China last time I looked at a map of the world.
You are right. What was i thinking?
A tiny bit of investigation shows one might get a 'fake' Apple iPhone from China at a price hard to believe.
In March Bloomberg published this report:
China Loves IPhones, Just Not Cheap Ones
The iPhone 5c was a failure, and Apple killed it off less than a year after it was introduced.
... Apple is releasing the iPhone SE. Like the 5c, it’s cheaper than the marquee handset by recycling some of the previous year's tech specs. Notably, the screen (an iPhone's single most-expensive component) remains not only smaller but of lower quality than more-recent i Phones.
... Like consumers in many countries, more and more Chinese flock to the iPhone every year not despite its premium price but because of it. At the same time that iPhone 5c was introduced, so too came the iPhone 5S, itself an upgrade to the previous year's model.

Somewhere I read you  get a real good price on iPhone in Hong Kong. (I wouldn't know, never been there.)

Back to topic. More kinds of smartphones an ere now emerging from China in mid and low price range. This is why you might get a good deal if you just wait little longer. Prices are falling on very good smartphones.
Just published:
OnePlus 3 review
OnePlus One is Android smartphone manufactured by OnePlus, a Chinese startup company
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:19:20 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
You can also get a set of Ping counterfeit golf clubs for $150.00 Bucks...retail $900.00.

I see no point to this info...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:26:21 PM »
The "Chinese" branded phones are getting pretty good - I have a OnePlus 2 and it works brilliantly and cost a fraction of what a Samsung of a similar spec would have cost.  Of course the downside is that if it goes wrong, you are going to have a "fun" time with customer support!

That said, there is a huge difference between lesser known Chinese brands such as OnePlus/Xiaomi/Oppo who sell their own designs and the companies making fake branded phones (e.g. fake iPhones/Samsung phones) - The former are generally pretty good devices for the price, the latter are still bad, low quality and often illegal due to trademark infringement.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
You can also get a set of Ping counterfeit golf clubs for $150.00 Bucks...retail $900.00.

I see no point to this info...
See the post by Camerongray
Patio... just read on. The Chinese are comping!