Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HUGE FPS drop after moving apartments on gaming rig  (Read 2695 times)

dragontype191

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    HUGE FPS drop after moving apartments on gaming rig
    « on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
    Rig Specs
    Haswell Intel Core i5 4590
    4-8 gbs of ram (other stick is currently in loan in another rig I built for my fiance so currently at 4 til I can buy her some of her own)
    Zotac Nvidia GTX 960 4gb
    Gigabyte LGA 1150 GA-B85M-D3H Mobo
    1 TB 2.5" Seagate SSHD
    250 GB Samsung 2.5" SSD

Anyways, SO I moved into a new apartment, got my internet setup going then I hooked up my computer to FINALLY sit down and relax after moving from one upstairs apartment to another upstairs (never doing that again), anyways I opened up overwatch and tried loading a game and where I usually run 60fps consistently on Epic settings with 100 percent rendering detail, I was suddenly running around 8 fps, I changed graphics settings to the lowest with no difference whatsoever, I opened facebook and I couldn't even run a facebook video without framerate lag. The only tinkering I did between hooking it up was I uninstalled and reinstalled the same hard drive because I temporarily used the backup SSHD in a enclosure so I could run my movies on there on my laptop instead (the OS is on the SSD which while it did get unplugged it wasn't removed). So I did what you'd expect, I uninstalled my GPU reinstalled it, did the same with my RAM, looked for loose connections, changed the sata connection source on the mobo, and reloaded the nvidia driver to no effect whatsoever, I then installed the GPU in my fiances rig to test it and went back to normal performance with the GPU so that's not the source, I need ideas on how to fix this because I'm at an utter loss

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HUGE FPS drop after moving apartments on gaming rig
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »
    The only tinkering I did between hooking it up was I uninstalled and reinstalled the same hard drive because I temporarily used the backup SSHD in a enclosure so I could run my movies on there on my laptop instead (the OS is on the SSD which while it did get unplugged it wasn't removed).
    You need to think about this.

In hindsight, it would have been safer to just get a cheap HDD and putt into the enclosure and use that for your portable video library. Standard MP4 or AVI videos are not improved by putting them on a SSD.

But it does make a difference when you use a system drive as a temporary portable back-up device. It cannot be used as a system drive again. Unless you repair it. And this is not just about SSD.

Windows Wisdom Rule:Never use any system drive as a portable device, unless you don't mind having the system of the portable  stem trashed. (Yes, there are exceptions to this rule.) Sorry, I don't know where this is documented.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:43:38 AM »
    I presume you haven't done something silly like plugged your monitor into your onboard graphics instead of the video card when you hooked everything up again?

dragontype191

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »
      I don't use my main drives as a portable but I didn't have a monitor while I was at my new apartment so I took out my SSHD out it in an enclosure and used it just to watch some movies on my laptop as I had no way of hooking up my desktop at the time, the problem ended up not being my hard drives at all, also I don't store my movies and stuff on the SSD I put them all on the 1TB SSHD, also yes I did check my video cable. What the problem ended up being was when I moved my computer got bumped around a little and two of the pins that hold the CPU cooler to the CPU came unlatched and the CPU was overheating, I didn't know it at the time because the temp that the game was showing was the GPU temp, I ended up heating my CPU to 96 degrees Celsius, I'm lucky I didn't fry it after running it like that for two hours trying to find driver issues and installing windows on a third HDD, all I had to do was push the two pins down on the cpu cooler and now my rigs running like a champ again, I still can't believe I missed that haha!