Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Won't Start  (Read 2463 times)

JusticeBringer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Won't Start
    « on: August 21, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »
    Sometime this morning, the fuses blew. I changed it and went back to sleep. After waking up, I found my computer wouldn't start back up. It's a Dell Inspiron 570 Desktop Tower.

Later, I noticed the back light was off so I unplugged the back power cord and plugged it back in. The light came on. It still wouldn't start. I unplugged it from the surge protector and directly into the wall. Still nothing. I unplugged everything, pressed the power button for 20 seconds, plugged it back up, still nothing. My old Gateway computer beside it (which isn't compatible with my monitor) wouldn't start either until I unplugged & plugged the power cord in the back. It works. Not my Dell though.

My Dell has been tricky coming back from sleep mode, but never this bad before. Please help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Won't Start
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
    Sometime this morning, the fuses blew. I changed it and went back to sleep. After waking up, I found my computer wouldn't start back up. It's a Dell Inspiron 570 Desktop Tower.

The questions are:
    Where do you live? (In an area whee electrical storms are common?)
    What made the fuses blow?
    The power supply in your Dell might have been badly damaged.
    Or maybe it tripped the fuses.

JusticeBringer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
      I live in Bergen County, NJ. Not sure what happened. I was alseep. If the power supply was damaged, would the backlight still be green?

JusticeBringer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »
        Okay, someone had plugged in a steam mop into the bathroom. After a few minutes, everything went down. However, only one fuse needed to be replaced, which covers the back half.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »
        Does the surge protector have anything to show it might have failed to absorb a surge? Likely not.
        Still, it sounds like cause and effect. And a  number of computer users claim a surge protector failed to protect a desktop computer.
        Here is one published report:
        http://www.pcworld.com/article/249809/after_a_surge_protector_fails.html
        The author says he asked two companies and one gave an answer. Not much to go on.

Next, a report that surge protectors are maybe bogus.
        http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-to-tell-if-a-surge-protector-failed-28549/

Part of the issue's that computers are wired to other devices. Printers, routers and other devices that may provide another path for a heavy surge. Hard to prove.

Another "expert" that says the surge protector may do more harm than good.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOv1thxAps
        He admits he is not an electrician.

Does your insurgence company cover this? What do they say?

JusticeBringer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:44:21 PM »
          It's pretty old, but it works. If it's fried, shouldn't it not light up in the back?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »
          Some electronic devices have a 'standby' mode wee a very small amount of power is present. Such devices can respond to remote commands, changes in  temperatures or wind and so forth.
          Some personal computers monitor the Ethernet for a signal to start the computer.
          However, the circuitry to do this is not the same as the main power supply.

Here is a general coverage of standby power design.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power
          This only occurs because some devices claimed to be "switched off" on the electronic interface, but are in a different state from switching off at the plug,
          In the past, standby power was largely a non-issue for users, electricity providers, manufacturers, and government regulators. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, awareness of the issue grew and it became an important consideration for all parties. Up to the middle of the decade, standby power was often several watts or even tens of watts per appliance. By 2010, regulations were in place in most developed countries restricting standby power of devices sold to one watt (and half that from 2013).

Put another way, the power needed to turn on a small LED is not even 1/10 percent of the power used in the full on state.

Is that enough?