Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound in Powerpoint only  (Read 2223 times)

iudith

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    No sound in Powerpoint only
    « on: August 24, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »
    Hello All,
    On one of my machines I am using Win XP Pro SP3, and MS Office 2003.

I have a lot of PPS presentations, most of them with embedded sounds,
    which I could always play without any problems.

Recently there were some changes performed on my machine (not by me),
    including updating the video and sound card drivers, and probably some registry cleans.

After this, SOME but NOT ALL of the PPS files, do not have sound any more while running the presentations.

I extracted one of the sound files embedded in such a presentation and it is a WAV file,
    right-click + Properties/Summary tab shows "Audio Format = Lame MP3".

For other WAV files (probably in the presentations that work ok ) it shows "Audio Format = PCM".

I can play both WAV files in Windows Media Player, without any problem.

Also, all the problematic PPS files do run correctly on another machine, with Win7 + Office 2010,
    though the PPS were created with Powerpoint 2003 or earlier.

I tried to create a dummy new Powerpoint 2003 presentation, by simply adding the 2 WAV files
    using Insert --> Sound from file.

When I double-click the sound icon, still in the Powerpoint 2003 designer,
    one of the WAV files ( the one with Audio format = PCM ) is played correctly,
    while the other one ( the one with Audio format = Lame MP3 ) displays the following error message:

"No wave device is installed that can record files in this current format.
     To install a wave device, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

The error message only appears if the WAV file is linked into the PPT.
    When I try to embed the same WAV file, then no error appears, but there is no sound played either.

When I tried to play the problematic WAV file in mplay32.exe, I receive the same error as above,
    and this is exactly what Powerpoint is using to play the file.

The other WAV file plays ok.

I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack 12.3.5 full, but it did NOT solve the problem.

I also tried to Repair and even reinstall MS Office 2003, also without any result.

I performed SFC on my machine, and it found no problems.

It would be great if I could receive an explanation about what codec packs are supposed to be
    installed for having Powerpoint 2003 playing correctly, including ALL embedded sounds.

It is weird that an MS program is relying on 3-rd party software for working properly.

As far as I understood, installing K-Lite Codec Pack was supposed to warrant playing almost
    any type of multimedia, but this is probably only true for the Windows Media Player itself,
    but NOT for Powerpoint 2003 ...

I have found the following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2UWjeAtdks
    that explains how to add missing drivers, but I DO NOT have a "Multimedia Audio Controller" entry at all
    in the Device Manager.

I only have the following entries, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers:
    - Audio Codecs (3 entries)
    - IMAPCM Audio Codec      ( appeared as a result of my attempt to solve the problem )
    - Legacy Audio Drivers
    - Legacy Video Capture Drivers
    - Media Control Devices   
    - Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec  ( 2 entries, also appeared as a result of my attempt to solve the problem )
    - NVIDIA High definition Audio ( 4 entries )
    - Realtek High definition audio
    - Video Codecs

All these devices are reported as working properly.

Any help would be highly appreciated, I am simply desperate   ???

Thanks a lot in advance for any clue & Best Regards,
    Iudith Mentzel