Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multi-part. Windows 10 won't find a .doc I saved. What is a good free search pro  (Read 2769 times)

Harryh

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Hello,

I haven't been here for a long time.

I hate windows 10 search feature. The whole file explored. The whole difficult to use, privacy invasive windows 10. If I still had the where-with-all to use some other operating system without a bunch of reading and learning, I would. And I'd get rid of Microsoft.

Anyway, I know the name of the 2000 word document and where I saved it, but search won't find it. Why? If I open word the file is in the recently opened file list and I can open it again. After it's out of that list, I'll never be able to find it again.

Messing around, it looks like this is because I saved the file in a sub-folder of Program Files (x86), but I'm not sure. File Explored doesn't seem to show it there. But, it does show a .doc file in a sub-folder of my D: drive. Also, from within word when I click on save as, the window that pops up shows the saved file is already there.

How do I get my File Explorer to show me everything? In 'View' I have 'Hidden Items' checked.

Also, what is a good free search program? Hopefully one with some power but still simple for basic use. For me, power means things like being able to search for files created on a certain day. That has helped me to find virus or malware a couple of times. Finding files that I didn't put on my computer the day before.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
The file search only indexes the User Profile folder (eg Documents and such) And doesn't index other drives or the program files folder. The Search feature in File Explorer searches within the current folder and sub-folders.

Everything Search may be useful. It can search pretty much everything, it's limitation is that you can only search for files based on their filename.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

I have used Agent Ransack for years, it's free and works well.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack