Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need clarification about my new SMPS  (Read 2946 times)

vvnu

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Need clarification about my new SMPS
    « on: April 29, 2015, 02:11:06 AM »
    I have replaced 500 Watt ATX SMPS for my Sempron based old desktop with Intex 450 Watt SMPS. Intex's products are low budget products and it has a good name, but not sure whether to use it or not. It is of 450 Watt and both the size & weight are lower than my old SMPS. 

Configuration of computer:
    AMD Sempron Processor
    Gigabyte motherboard
    1 GB RAM
    250 GB Seagate HDD

Old SMPS
    Navotech  500 ATX

New SMPS
    Intex 450 W

Also, please let me know if this iBall SMPS is okay. I purchased it earlier, but not sure about it's watts:

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need clarification about my new SMPS
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »
    All of those are just as low quality and bad as each other, pretty much as bad as you can get in fact, I would not use any of them - Even if I was given a PC with one of those, I would replace it before I started using it.  The power supply is the one part of a PC you should never cheap out on, always get a good brand such as XFX, Seasonic, FSP, Antec, Corsair.etc.

Notice how your current "500w" one only has 10amp on the +12v rail - This works out to 120w.  A good power supply should output over 80% of its rated wattage on the +12v rail, yours only outputs 24%!  Same with the Intex which despite being sold as 450w, also states that the total output power should not continuously exceed 200w.  Not only do they not come close to outputting their rated power, I highly doubt that they have the proper protection circuitry that a good unit would have.  If one of those fails (and it will), it is likely to take out other components with it.  It is also possible for something to short out inside the system, a good unit would detect a fault and shut down, those cheap ones generally don't and can cause wires melting and fires.etc.

With power supplies, you really do get what you pay for.  Don't risk it.

vvnu

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Need clarification about my new SMPS
      « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »
      Hello,

I just got Corsair 450 Watt for my old Desktop with the following specs:

• Gigabyte Motherboard
      • Sempron Processor
      • and 2GB RAM

Please let me know if the SMPS suits well for that.

Also, I will have to purchase another SMPS for a computer with different specs. Let me know if I can get the similar one for this:

• Digilite Motherboard
      • Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz
      • and 8GB RAM

Picture - http://ge.tt/6et7OLf2

Thank you!