Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: An icon suddenly appeared on the system tray  (Read 9805 times)

pepper38mint

An icon suddenly appeared on the system tray
« on: July 30, 2004, 10:47:03 AM »
Next to the time there is a yellow bell that blinks on and off.  When I put the cursor over it it says: "Take Advantage of the Hot Summer Sale"  I tried right clicking on it to see if I could delete it but it only has: Open message and leave it.

I have Ad-Aware which scans each time I start up my computer and I have Norton Anti-Virus with all the latest updates.

Can anyone tell me how this thing got on my computer and what is it?

robertmillar

Re: An icon suddenly appeared on the system tray
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 01:44:12 PM »
Go to this Site and download CW Shredder

http://zerosrealm.com/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 01:47:37 PM by robertmillar »

Raptor

pepper38mint

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 02:34:39 PM »
Thank you Robert Millar.  I downloaded CW Shredder and ran it and rebooted but the icon is still there. ???
Should I do anything else?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 02:44:46 PM »
have you downloaded anything recently? type msconfig in the run box and you will see what is starting up?

pepper38mint

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »
Merlin I haven't downloaded anything recently.  I put  msconfig in the run box but I can't see anything that I can identify that is related to this icon.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 03:13:20 PM »
download spysweeper from www.webroot.com and scan for spys...etc..or have you installed any software recently..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 03:14:51 PM by merlin_2 »

pepper38mint

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 03:24:57 PM »
Merlin I have Ad-aware.  Isn't that spyware?  It runs each time I start my computer. I haven't downloaded any software recently.

pepper38mint

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 07:14:08 PM »
I can't believe it.  I finally decided to right click on it and it was an ad from my email program....incredimail that I've had for years and I was able to delete it.  I am so pissed and I'm going to let them know it.   Thanks everyone for trying to help me.  This is a great website.

2k dummy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 07:29:09 PM »
IncrediMail IS spyware. If you can look at your firewall or router logs, take a long look.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 05:15:39 AM »
If you had clicked the link I supplied you with and read the Administrators message you would have found more programs that could have helped you.