Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Passwords  (Read 7071 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Passwords
    « on: October 15, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
    I have Windows 10.  I'd like to see a list of my passwords as some have changed and I did not write them down.  I have looked on Google, and searched here and all I find is how to change a lost password, which I don't want to do, or how to run a reset disk (?).  I have found there are some people who really "get" the computer and some who do not.  I'm the not.  All these years and I still am computer stupid.  So any help you can give me to find my passwords would be appreciated, especially if there is an easy way to do it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Passwords
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
    Practically every website that requires a username and password has a procedure for resolving a lost/forgotten username and/or password.  Usually, a link labeled "Forgot password" will be displayed on the sign on page.  Click that link and follow the procedure.

And, obviously, you need to make a note of your usernames and passwords somewhere to avoid this problem from occurring.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
    In Windows 10, you can replace your password with a PIN that can be as short as just for numbers. For use in your private home that should be enough to prevent others from getting into your account. At a later time you can change the tenant or remove it and go back to using your password. This is one of the features that Windows can has to make it easier for you to use your password.
    Also, when you sign into Windows tenant you can use your e-mail and password as soon a way to start Windows 10. It is recommended that you have a Microsoft e-mail account for this purpose.
    In addition, the other browsers like chrome and Firefox have built-in features for remembering your password. If you need more control of the passwords in Firefox you can get an add-on device that helps you manage your passwords.
    Here is one of things I do to help me remember a password. You pick a group both words that make up a familiar phrase. The first letter of each word will be a letter in your password. You can write that down somewhere has a reminder and most likely other people will just think it's some kind of no to made to yourself.
    Here's an example:
    Buy a bag of peaches and 1 quart of cottage cheese .
    Which translates to:
    Babopa1qocc
    That is a long password with one embedded numeral.  and one capital letter.
    Write this on a sticky note and if a stranger sees it he will think that it is only reminder of what you want for lunch.  :D

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
    Unfortunately there is no way to just get a list of passwords unless you explicitly set them, if this was possible it would be a massive security risk!  Even websites do not (or at least should not) store the password that you use, they should be doing something called "hashing" so they can check your password without actually knowing it.

Your only option here is to reset all the passwords using the "Forgotten Password" feature that most websites give.  In the future you may want to look into a service like https://lastpass.com/ to store your passwords so that you don't forget them.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
    Another thought.
    AutoHotKey has a method of saving scripts in some kind of encryption.
    See here:
    https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=13765
    Some use AutoHotKey to save a big list of user names and passwords. The script can be password protected Therefore a number of unique passwords can be saved using one master password.
    AutoHotkey is for Windows. But thee is a current effort to port it to Linux.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
    Another thought.
    AutoHotKey has a method of saving scripts in some kind of encryption.
    See here:
    https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=13765
    Some use AutoHotKey to save a big list of user names and passwords. The script can be password protected Therefore a number of unique passwords can be saved using one master password.
    AutoHotkey is for Windows. But thee is a current effort to port it to Linux.
    ]]

She cant save em if she dont know em...the horse is outta the barn,,,
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:23:25 AM »
    Geek, that's an awful lot of cottage cheese!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:42:10 AM »
    Firefox can show you a list of usernames and passwords for web sites which you have allowed it to remember.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
      Thanks everybody!  I have a desktop computer in my home.  No one ever uses it but me, so someone noticing a password is almost zero to none.  I have a little notebook I write down all my accounts and the user name and password in.  For some reason, that one (always that one!) didn't get written down.  I will go there and say I forgot password.  I've changed my email to gmail as we are trying to get rid of Comcast and go with Dish or Direct TV.  I have Verizon as my internet provider.  It's not as fast as Comcast, but what else have I got to do anyway, just wait a few seconds more...don't think that's gonna do me in!  Comcast bill is getting out of hand and if you have a phone package with Verizon like Freedom Essentials (which I do) then the Internet is free.  I could not transfer my contacts to gmail because I could not log into Live Mail as I forgot password for Microsoft.  I will take care of it now, hopefully! 

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH...I LOVE YOU BEING HERE FOR ME!  Of course, if I was a kid, I could figure all this out...but I'm on the middleish side of 60 and I love to figure my stuff out, however, I seem to take the long route!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
      You can retrieve your LiveMaill password using the method mentioned above...

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 03:59:49 AM »
        In Windows 10, you can replace your password with a PIN that can be as short as just for numbers. For use in your private home that should be enough to prevent others from getting into your account. At a later time you can change the tenant or remove it and go back to using your password. This is one of the features that Windows can has to make it easier for you to use your password.
        Also, when you sign into Windows tenant you can use your e-mail and password as soon a way to start Windows 10. It is recommended that you have a Microsoft e-mail account for this purpose.
        In addition, the other browsers like chrome and Firefox have built-in features for remembering your password. If you need more control of the passwords in Firefox you can get an add-on device that helps you manage your passwords.
        Here is one of things I do to help me remember a password. You pick a group both words that make up a familiar phrase. The first letter of each word will be a letter in your password. You can write that down somewhere has a reminder and most likely other people will just think it's some kind of no to made to yourself.
        Here's an example:
        Which translates to:
        Babopa1qocc
        That is a long password with one embedded numeral.  and one capital letter.
        Write this on a sticky note and if a stranger sees it he will think that it is only reminder of what you want for lunch.  :D
        Geek, I have Windows 10 as well and as mentioned by you for elaborate security and ease I would also like to replace password with PIN. Please can you elaborate the method for doing so.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
        From Google:
        Part 1: Change user password on Windows 10
            Step 1: Enter PC settings.
            Step 2: Select Users and accounts.
            Step 3: Open Sign-in options and tap the Change button under Password.
            Step 4: Enter current user password and tap Next.
            Step 5: Type a new password, re-type it, input password hint and click Next.

The PIN can be  a four digit number. But your password is still there.
        For more details:
        http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/how-to-change-sign-in-options-on-windows-10.html
        Now, after all that, read this:
        http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-sign-options
        Look for:

Hope that helps.

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
          « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:05:26 AM »
          From Google:
          Part 1: Change user password on Windows 10
              Step 1: Enter PC settings.
              Step 2: Select Users and accounts.
              Step 3: Open Sign-in options and tap the Change button under Password.
              Step 4: Enter current user password and tap Next.
              Step 5: Type a new password, re-type it, input password hint and click Next.

The PIN can be  a four digit number. But your password is still there.
          For more details:
          http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/how-to-change-sign-in-options-on-windows-10.html
          Now, after all that, read this:
          http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-sign-options
          Look for:

Hope that helps.
          @Geek many thanks for the step by step info. Much appreciated.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
          Lorraine, you did not have to quote that.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »
          I've noticed the quoting here recently gettin outta control.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
          Just so, Patio.