Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need a monitor for basic web, videos and movies  (Read 2676 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
need a monitor for basic web, videos and movies
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:43:34 AM »
it's time for a new monitor to replace the crappy one I use as my secondary display and would love to get suggestions on one... looking for 27" or larger mostly for watching movies and videos but also for basic web browsing... been looking at dell monitors and I think they are a good choice (I got a 3007wfp hooked to my mac and love it!) and it's between two, the P2717H and U2717D.... don't know how 1440P will be at far distances vs 1080P like if I wanna watch a video or movie from bed 10-12 feet away every once in awhile.... also if you have a different suggestion let me know... I just have only used Dell so that was my default go to brand

so any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated!

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: need a monitor for basic web, videos and movies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:12:43 AM »
Without a doubt I'd go for the U2717D.  For watching movies it won't make much of a difference but when actually working on the PC, 27" is starting to get too big for 1080p whereas 1440p will give you a lot more screen space to work with.

The only thing to check is what spec your PC is (especially graphics card) to ensure that it is capable of driving a monitor of that resolution.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
Also, some new TV sets have high  native resolution.
They offer a greater variety of size and price.
 All have some kind of digital input.
A few are 4K and auto-adjust to your PC output.
Here is a web site with some recommendations.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

Myself, I have two 32 inch TV sets and am very happy. But when I watch movies on Hulu or Netflix I never go over 720p because of the limited bandwidth I get.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:43:53 AM »
ya our internet is crap here so 720p if i'm real lucky but normally 480p is highest quality I get without lots of buffering... but my real concern is if 1440P will be too high for when I need to view from 12 feet away... I just got a new basic computer with a intel celeron, integrated graphics and 4 gb of ram on win 7 that I would like to run off the monitor so not the most powerful system in the world but is dedicated to just watch movies and videos on the monitor (from my plex and netflix ect) and maybe view a web page if needed but mostly videos and movies

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »
Whitie III,
For watching internet movies, the best thing is a Roku or equal device. The PC might have background tasks ruing with could interfere.
Or, even a iPad or Android tablet with HDMI output can give good steady internet streaming. Andi it frees up your PC for other work. (By using your old monitor.)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
If this is to be used purely as an entertainment PC rather than for productive work then the resolution doesn't really matter as much.  You may want to look at a TV rather than a monitor as with that you'll get built in speakers and a remote control.etc.

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »
the reason I'm going with a monitor is that nobody sells a 27" tv and we have determined that a 22" TV is too small and while we could go with a 32" tv (the next size up) most of them that I've seen under $350 still use 720P resolution....... so 27" Computer Monitor is best specs for the money right now really if I buy in excellent used condition... that's how I got my 32" dell 1440P monitor!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
Check out:
http://www.sceptre.com/
This is a lesser know company that makes good stuff.
The 720p is common because of the HDTV standards. The native resolution of some 32 inch TV sets is better, but not 4K. The 1080p is less common.
Also:
http://bgr.com/2015/09/18/720p-vs-1080p-vs-4k-resolution/
I know that many of you out there are shouting at your computer screens after reading that headline. “Of course it makes a difference!” And you’re right — there is a perceptible difference between the most common resolutions for TVs, smartphones and computer monitors. But your mileage will noticeably vary based on a few important factors

And here is another:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2483094/720p-quality.html

Just trying to help  ;D