Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nvidia's brightness driver issue....  (Read 6033 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Nvidia's brightness driver issue....
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Greetings Computer Hope!

I'm having a rather annoying driver issue with Nvidia and would like some assistance in getting it fixed or perhaps a by pass! Please bear with me as this is technically a Bootcamp MacBook Pro I'm working on, but it is a Nvidia driver issue.

I have tried this on windows 7 pro, 8.1 pro and windows 10 pro to all duplicate the exact same issue. When you install windows on a Mac, you bring in apples bootcamp drivers which allow you to control the brightness and volume and right click on a trackpad with one click etc. Since I have a beefier older MacBook Pro I always update the GPU drivers as I'm running a 1gb Nvidia Geforce GT 650M. However now, when I update the driver, it kills the ability to change brightness, both using the bootcamp utility, and even the one windows has built in!

The last time I ran windows flawlessly on this with updated graphics was back in December. So what I'm wondering is, is there a way to get Nvidia's older drivers so I can find the latest working driver that doesn't break the brightness setting?

Any suggestions and or help would GREATLY be appreciated. Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Nvidia's brightness driver issue....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »
nVidia has drivers here going back to Feb release of this year for the GT 650m GPU, have you tried the oldest here to see if you get the functionality back.. Release 378.66 Feb. 14, 2017. If 378.66 works then you can update the driver until you find which specific one breaks this and then open a ticket with nVidia to check into it, or just stick with older driver that works and just remember to save a copy of this driver someplace safe in case you ever need it again in future and Nvidia no longer has it available.

If this doesnt work, then maybe try the 500 series driver like the GT 555m and see if you can get that to work, however going with prior series drivers you can run into other problems as well as lack of support for certain features that the 650m has that the prior series GPUs lacked such as shaders etc.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Other thought if none of the above works, is that maybe nvidia keeps an archive somewhere and you can request a specific version that they can give you an archive link to to download.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
DaveLembke,

Thank you! Is this another official Nvidia site? i was on this page ( http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx ) when looking for the drivers and didnt see an older version so i wasnt sure.

Really appreciate this. So far the Feb and first March releases are working perfect in windows 7 pro not bricking anything. So im saving them all and working through them until i find the culprit. Then ill report to Nvidia, as it seems this mac being from 2012 with this chipset the driver is still being updated. Currently typing from it :)

Very stupid question (i know) but the drivers im using are windows 7 / 8 /8.1 i presume the ones listed for 10 are different? ill have to install 10 and work through those as well... ?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
Yes, the drivers I listed were from official nvidia's website. When going through the manual selection process for drivers it appears that they switched me over to the geforce domain. I didnt catch that until you mentioned it.  ;D

Not a stupid question, windows 10 drivers might be different, however I would expect them to be possibly the same as maybe the ones for Windows 8.1.

Awesome to hear you found some that work using older drivers that I linked. Right now its just a process of figuring out where it breaks or just being happy with an older driver and running with it saving the driver that works for future use when nvidia tombstones accessibility to it. On systems I build I create a folder on them that I call Vendor which is a practice that I learned from another professional in the field and basically all software and drivers that go for a build are kept in this folder and so if needed the drivers for a specific build are in that folder on that system. On external hard drive I would name it like HP_DC5000SFF_Vendor and have all drivers and software there. So if I need to rebuild clean without an image, I can do a fresh OS install and then copy the folder from external to the system and then change its name to Vendor or leave it be and install known good drivers for that build and software that is versions known to work.

What really stinks is for example when you assume that downloads will always be available online and so you dont save a copy of some software that is free use, then you rebuild and go to install that software and all of a sudden they no longer provide it for free and they killed off the free version. So for some software while there are newer versions available I still run the free older version. Additionally some software that was out there created by hobbyist programmers or sole proprietor programmers come and go as they dont pay to keep their websites going etc and tools forever lost unless someone else hosts the downloads which then are questionable as to if they are in fact what you want or bait to get infected etc. So I make a habit out of when i find something cool I will download the software that is free and then I will take a copy of their website with HTTRACK and keep that in a folder with the software so that I also have a offline copy of their website with all info that right now might not be important but at some point in future I might be looking back at when that website is gone when a microsoft update breaks something etc. HTTRACK I can tell it to grab only the first layer or 2 layers in of a website etc so it just skims the important stuff and avoid downloading externally linked sites etc. I then browse the offline copy and if I see something missing I will tell it to grab the 3rd level which hopefully is the info I want to have an archive of and not be grabbing offline copies of gigs of data as can happen. I also use a tool that takes digital snapshots of websites as jpgs etc such as this software here that not many know about .... http://www.priyatna.org/webthumbnailer.php and this way i can open a picture of a webpage and zoom in if its one that scrolls out of view normally. Its not 100% flawless, but its worked for me in the past with getting pictures of websites to keep a offline copy of their readable content.  :)