Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE trouble opening  (Read 8693 times)

U2can

IE trouble opening
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
Problem

Internet Explorer starts to open and then closes.  Option settings seem to be correct.  I have run Norton Antivirus and there is nothing found, I also ran Webroot Spy Sweeper nothing found.  IE is the latest version with the updates on service packs.  I’m using XP as the operating system.  No other problems with the pc that I am aware of.  I can dialup and use Mozilla Firefox without any trouble as a backup browser, however I prefer the IE.  Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.  
 :'(

Also:
Nothing new as added or removed, nor were any changes made when the problem occurred!  Be gentle with me I have just enough knowledge to get into trouble, hopefully enough to know when to ask for help before I make a bigger mess out of things.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:10:40 PM by U2can »

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Re: IE trouble opening
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:46:21 AM »
    sinds when do you have this problem, perhaps you installed something wrong
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 01:02:33 PM »
      Try uninstalling then reinstalling IE.

Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Add/Remove Windows Components and then remove the tick from IE> click next and let it run through.

Reboot your system and then go through the process again and replace the tick.

Try it now.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

U2can

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:21:26 PM »
      Thanks for the help. I will try it out.   :D

U2can

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »
      Another question comes to mind.  Can I use “system restore” ?  Will “system restore” bring the IE back to the settings before the problems was encountered, or is system restore only for the operating system? Everything else with the pc is operating fine, again my only problem is IE and I did not make any changes in the settings before the date of the problem.  I also had all updates and service packs long before this "bug" got me.   ::)

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:51:37 PM »
        Navigate to & double click on the iexplore.exe file.
        C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

U2can

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:21:28 PM »
        Navigate to & double click on the iexplore.exe file.
        C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Fed – good idea, however I tried this action and it didn’t load.   ::)

U2can

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »
        Try uninstalling then reinstalling IE.

Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Add/Remove Windows Components and then remove the tick from IE> click next and let it run through.

Reboot your system and then go through the process again and replace the tick.

Try it now.

Pcwizards – another good idea, however I tried this several times just as you pointed out and it did not fix the problem.  I did notice that before I removed it, there was no program in the “currently installed programs” window.  I did go on and did the add/rem components with a remove.  Then backed out and did a reboot, then the back to do the add/rem components to add.  Everything seemed to take correctly with the “wizard window”.  However IE never shows up in the “currently installed programs”.  I tried this operation several times to “kick” it a little, but never shows up.  I do notice that the icon for IE goes and comes when I add/rem.  IE program continues to fail to remain fully opened.  

Looks like I lost the IE application file and can’t add it totally?  

I did have IE 6 at the time before everything fell apart with it, and I also had downloaded the service packs for security and updates.  This was done well before any problems started.  There were no changes or settings made for months before the problem came about.  

My question now is:  I can’t find backup disc for IE 6.  I’ve looked all over the house.  I did find my older ver 5.  Can I install v.5 from the CD and then get to MS for a download of the ver 6? as well as the patches?  

Also another avenue I could go down maybe?  Question.  Can I do a “system restore” back to the date before this problem came about?  I don’t know if system restore keeps track of IE programs?  

Again any help or ideas with this is appreciated!
        ???

75snow

Re: IE will not open
        « Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 06:09:53 PM »
        Wow, the exact same thing just happened to me!  IE starts to load for about 3 seconds, then it goes away.  It does not show up in the Control Panel add/remove program list, but it is in C:\programfiles\Internet Explorer.  Clicking on the .exe files yields the same results.

The only difference is that I installed Norton 2006 System Works and Personal Firewall a couple of days ago, but it worked after this installation.

I have my Windows XP Reinstallation CD.  Can I reinstall it from there, or is there a simplier solution?    

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 07:49:09 PM »
          Just to be sure...

Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scans
          http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Highly recommended second Online Malware Scan
          http://www.ewido.net/en/

75snow

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 11:11:51 PM »
          I visited the trendmicro site and also used Norton's Disk Doctor.  Not sure how, but problem now solved! Thank you.

75snow

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 11:12:36 PM »
          I visited the trendmicro site and also used Norton's Disk Doctor.  Not sure how, but problem now solved! Thank you.

U2can

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 04:59:28 PM »
          Just to be sure...

Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scans
          http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Highly recommended second Online Malware Scan
          http://www.ewido.net/en/

Fed

I tried these two scans.  Trendmicro found one file named DOWN_SE.70336 and removed it.  

Thanks!
          ;D

U2can

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »
          I now have some other troubles, seems I must reload IE now that the file was removed?

:-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 10:14:24 PM »
          A cheap price to pay, and easier than reloading Windows!