Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE trouble opening  (Read 8692 times)

U2can

Re: IE trouble opening
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 10:19:56 PM »
I’m using XP and IE was ver. 6 with SP1 & 2 that I had patched long ago.  I feel I have no recourse but to remove the IE –6 and do a re-install.  

Problem is I can’t find the backup disc for XP and the files that I need.  When I upgraded from 98 several years back – I either didn’t get the disc. or I have misplaced them.  I have found my old 98 with ver 5 IE.  My question is can I go back to the ver 5?  This would get IE back on the system and I can get off Firefox.  

Any thoughts?

???

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
    DOWN_SE.70336 is not a windows or IE file.

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »
    Why not just go the microsoft download site and get the latest copy. Save it on your hard drive, uninstall what you had, reboot and then uinstall?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:24:55 PM by GX1_Man »

U2can

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 10:28:41 PM »
    Why not just go the microsoft download site and get the latest copy. Save it on your hard drive, uninstall what you had, reboot and then uinstall?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en

Now that’s what seems like a great idea.  Why do we always make things harder?  KISS right.  

Thanks I’m going that direction tomorrow.  
    ;D

U2can

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »
    It’s a good thing I don’t get paid by the hour on this problem.  ;-) Busy with xmas
    errands these days.
     I have another question that’s looking for an answer.  

I got the download IE6setup.exe copied to disc.  I also printed the instructions, however after reading it I got more confused about some steps that I should think about before preceding.  I want to try and save some of the settings that I “have been” using in the old IE, things like bookmarks, etc. and I don’t know how to do that?

If I “remove” ie6setup from the old location on the drive using “add/rem” and then install the new ie6setup – will other personal settings remain or will they be lost?   Or do I leave the old copy of ie6setup and simply “run” the new copy that will write over the old?  

This is the first time I have had to do this and I sure it can cause trouble if I don’t do it correctly, thus I need some help from those in the know with steps to follow.  I appreciate all the past help that got me to this point, and its come too far for me to blow now!  ;-)

confused ???

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 05:04:28 PM »
    In IE, go to File, Import and Export and then save to a file on a floppy. Do the same in Outlook or Outlook Express for your address book.

now you are ready to proceed.

U2can

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »
    I want to thank you guys for all the help and the scan for spyware & malware did find some problems.

Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scans
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Highly recommended second Online Malware Scan
    http://www.ewido.net/en/

After everything was completed, I finally had to give it up and let a professional tech do what I couldn’t.  I got a new hard drive with more space, did a clean sweep of the old OS and files, reloaded OS, and got me back on track.  

The lesson I’ve learned in this is that there is a lot of help here to keep me out of trouble, but there are some things that just need someone who can go the extra mile with their knowledge.  Money well spent however I now run Firefox online and I will try to keep all the spyware and virus protection updated even more often then before.  I can’t use a firewall as the dialup is too slow and it would only slow down things even more.  

But again thanks to everyone!   :)

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 12:34:25 PM »
      I'm on dialup with a firewall & I can't detect any speed difference at all :-?

U2can

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
      I'm on dialup with a firewall & I can't detect any speed difference at all :-?

Tell me more, I’m all ears and wanting to learn something. :o

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 10:42:15 PM »
        What more can I say other than Sygate Version 5.5 Build 2710.
        http://207.33.111.31/spf/

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »
        A good format and reinstall usually fixes most Windows problems, for a while anyway.  ;)

Good prevention and safe habits are wise if you run any Windows box connected to the internet.