Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A series of unfortunate events...  (Read 2170 times)

bex89

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    A series of unfortunate events...
    « on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
    So I  believe I have resigned myself to the fact that I must replace (or temporarily use a usb keyboard) my acer laptops keyboard. The reason I'm putting this post up is because I have a series of questions. The way things started I had a difficulty with my operating system and on my hard drive (recently upgraded windows 10 from 8). Due to the many errors and finally not being able to use my touchpad to scroll on pages I wiped, formatted and performed a clean install of W10 from a usb drive. The laptop did fine for a few weeks and then began having problems with the audio (randomly not being able to find the icon on the task bar ect.) I tinkered worth settings and software ect and eventually solved the error. Next my wireless network adapter began randomly booting me and disabling its self. I  tinkered with that device similarly. Last after shutting the laptop to attend to something else I open it to find my mouse was responding so I restarted it. it worked fine for long enough to spill some water on the board though.  (I hastily dried it and shutdown) I wad able to power on a couple days later and it seemed like there was no issue then my system froze due to a cpu overload i believe. I rebooted and the mouse was working but the keyboard wasnt functioning correctly. I was able to force it (by getting perfect timing on the f2 key) into a reset and did another clean install of W10... I was only able to navigate the set up with the only screen keyboard. after clumsily getting to the desktop I went to the keyboard settings ease of access to try and work out a solution because the only screen keyboard wouldn't work right unless I was pressing a key on the hard keyboard as well. I was able to determine that worth filter keys enabled the only screen would work correctly and with a keyboard test app I learned that my end key was "stuck" and no amount of physical input made any progress. Well  I ended up falling asleep and my computer hibernated and I  couldn't log in so I figured I'd just reset again and change the default value to no passwordto resolve the anomaly but a power issue interrupted the process and now I can't get any keys to respond in any way and I'm stuck in a boot loop. Anyone have any insight into my series of unfortunate events?

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: A series of unfortunate events...
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 03:42:44 AM »
    Too much random stuff happening to give any real insight.  Spilling water on the keyboard may or may not have damaged the motherboard.

Personally, I would try buying a replacement keyboard from Ebay.  You can get them fairly inexpensively and (on most laptops) they are very easy to swap out.  Once you changed the keyboard, try another clean install of the OS.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
    Bex89,
    Do you have another computer?
    It would be a good idea to have anotgher computer that you can use to verify observations. In general, a desktop PC will give better results tahta laptop. Often yu can buy a critified reconditioned desktop PC for a very low price.  In your area yhou might find a monitgor for a lowprice. Otherwise, monitosrs are expensive to ship.

Having two computers with the same OS lets yu experiment with settings to see how much the OS is part of a problem.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
    A bad keyboard would likely cause all the conditions you mentioned...
    I'd use an external for the time being whilr you shop for a replacement.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "